Balttext
Balttext  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 05:52
English to Latvian
+ ...
Jun 16, 2007

Dear All,

I have a quite bulky .xls file with several sheets. In each sheet there is a column with text - first comes a cell with text in bold which must be left in tact and not translated, then one cell below comes the same text in italics, which must be translated. A couple of empty cells and again - cell in bold, cell in italics. I hope you get the idea.

There are hundreds of such cells, because of repetitions and for the sake of consistency I would like to use Trado
... See more
Dear All,

I have a quite bulky .xls file with several sheets. In each sheet there is a column with text - first comes a cell with text in bold which must be left in tact and not translated, then one cell below comes the same text in italics, which must be translated. A couple of empty cells and again - cell in bold, cell in italics. I hope you get the idea.

There are hundreds of such cells, because of repetitions and for the sake of consistency I would like to use Trados, but does anyone have an idea of how do I mark the text in bold as untranslatable?

I think I have 2 options here - copying everything to Word and applying the style for Trados untranslatable text or do something similar in TagEditor. Any ideas / suggestions on how to proceed would be highly appreciated.

Uldis
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 04:52
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Id go via Word Jun 17, 2007

That's my usual avoidance path (g), when I have to do Excel. After all it's text in tables and it maps (both ways) without a problem.

You just need to do global search and replace in word. changing the format of bold text to untranslatable - or external, whatever...

Balttext
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
find / replace styles Jun 17, 2007

Yes, I thought that Word would be most probably easier to handle in this aspect, but could you give me advice on how exactly do I arrive at changing the style to external using Find / Replace?

Thank you in advance for helping out.

Uldis

Carlos Anllo
Carlos Anllo
Local time: 23:52
English to Spanish
in more detail... Jun 18, 2007

Hi Uldis,

What you need to do, as you guessed correctly, is copy the text in Word and define the non-translatable text by means of a proper style.

Fortunately the way the Excel file is laid out as per your description should make this easy. Here's a small checklist of the steps to take:

1. Copy the desired column(s) in Excel and paste them in a new Word doc (should create a table).

2. Already in Word, go to Format->Styles & Formatting. You shou
... See more
Hi Uldis,

What you need to do, as you guessed correctly, is copy the text in Word and define the non-translatable text by means of a proper style.

Fortunately the way the Excel file is laid out as per your description should make this easy. Here's a small checklist of the steps to take:

1. Copy the desired column(s) in Excel and paste them in a new Word doc (should create a table).

2. Already in Word, go to Format->Styles & Formatting. You should get an open pane on the right with the names of all the styles defined for this document. Create a new one clicking on the "New Style" button and give it a name ("DO NOT TRANSLATE" is the Trados default and should work fine).

3. Now comes the finding and replacing part. Open the Replace dialog and click on the "Find what" field to place the insertion point. Now click on the button labelled "More" to access more options.

4. With the insertion point still in the "Find what" field, click on the newly revealed "Format:" button at the bottom of the dialog. Here you want to choose "Font" and then "Bold" as the attribute that will define the text to skip during translation.

5. If the above was done correctly, you should see a "Format: Bold" in the line just below the "Find what" field.

6. Now click on the "Replace with" field to place the insertion point.

7. Click again on the "Format" button below but this time select the "Style" option instead of "Font". A dialog will appear that will let you select the "DO NOT TRANSLATE" style you created in the first step.

8. If everything went well you should see "Style: DO NOT TRANSLATE" just below the "Replace with" field.

9. Repeat step 4 for the "Replace with" field, this time to ensure that the Bold attribute won't disappear after replacing the Style.

And that's it! Now you're ready to find & replace in the doc. The text should remain the same but the bold lines should have the "DO NOT TRANSLATE" style. Use Word to translate the file and then simply copy back the column(s) into Excel.

Hope this helps,
Carlos

[Edited at 2007-06-18 19:26]
Collapse

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 04:52
English to Swedish
+ ...
Predefined styles Jun 19, 2007

Carlos Anllo wrote:

2. Already in Word, go to Format->Styles & Formatting. You should get an open pane on the right with the names of all the styles defined for this document. Create a new one clicking on the "New Style" button and give it a name ("DO NOT TRANSLATE" is the Trados default and should work fine).

I guess you know this already, but if you're running Trados, you just have to activate the macro in Word by pressing Alt-F8, choose sAddTagStyles.
Then you will find the style tw4WinExternal in the style dropdown menu.
So no need to define your own custom style!

/Jan

perhaps the best solution Jun 21, 2007

If the whole line with the cell in bold should not be translated, then you can write a macro that HIDES the row where the font is bold.

Hidden rows and columns will not be processed by Trados when you set the Filter for Excel to not "Translate content from hidden rows and columns"

After you have finished translation you just need to unhide all rows.

[Edited at 2007-06-21 13:05]

Balttext
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Jun 26, 2007

Thank you all for helping me out on this, your suggestions were indeed appreciated.

BR,

Uldis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Marking text in Excel file as untranslatable

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »