Thread poster: Ramona Ali
Ramona Ali
Ramona Ali  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:26
Member (2004)
English to Malay
+ ...
Jun 20, 2007

Hi, my client has given me a large XML file to work in Tag Editor but I would like to break it up into 4-6 smaller files to work on in stages - it's less stressful this way! How do I do this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 02:26
English to German
+ ...
There are quite a few tools there... Jun 20, 2007

HI! MS-office 2007 offers embedded facility, but I cannot judge today how good they are. There are othes like altova xml tool set enterprise edition, xml stylus studio enterprise. etc., The best thing to do would be to ask your customer to split the file. One could also implement DreamWeaver 8.0. Best regards, Brandis

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Perl can do it Jun 20, 2007

Brandis wrote:

HI! MS-office 2007 offers embedded facility, but I cannot judge today how good they are. There are othes like altova xml tool set enterprise edition, xml stylus studio enterprise. etc., The best thing to do would be to ask your customer to split the file. One could also implement DreamWeaver 8.0. Best regards, Brandis

I used the xml_split script with success. Here it is:

http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=429707

HTH

Piotr

Ramona Ali
Ramona Ali  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:26
Member (2004)
English to Malay
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Brandis and Piotr Jun 21, 2007

So I need to use another software to do it then. Someone told me I can just open the XML file in Notepad, cut it up there and save it with an .xml extension. I tried it and it seems like it can work, but I couldn't cut the file properly because I needed to exactly match up the open and close tags but it's hard when the file is so big. Still trying...

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
you are right.. Jun 21, 2007

Ramona Ali wrote:

So I need to use another software to do it then. Someone told me I can just open the XML file in Notepad, cut it up there and save it with an .xml extension. I tried it and it seems like it can work, but I couldn't cut the file properly because I needed to exactly match up the open and close tags but it's hard when the file is so big. Still trying...

It is possible to use the notepad as well, but you have to understand the tags. I tried it once and got confused and couldn´t split properly either. Then I used the altova .xml editors. But this program is unfortunately not a freeware. Your might get lucky and split using the notepad. Best regards, Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to beak up a large XML file to use in Tag Editor

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »