https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/76188-how_do_you_count_how_many_words_you_have_translated.html

How do you count how many words you have translated?
Thread poster: Agnieszka Majchrzak
Agnieszka Majchrzak
Agnieszka Majchrzak  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:17
English to Polish
+ ...
Jun 23, 2007

Does Trados have any function that lets you count how many words have already been translated? I am wondering about it, because I have a large assignment and to deliver it on time I would need to keep up with daily output limits. Can I count the words - 3 000 words, hurray I can take a break or keep working until I drop?
Thank you in advance.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:17
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Just run the analysis again Jun 24, 2007

You analyzed the file when you started, right?
If you run the analysis again on the partially translated file, you would see the difference, right?
Whatever you already translated would show up as 100% match.
Katalin

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Word counting in Word! Jun 24, 2007

Hi Agnieszka!

Here is a trick (actually, just a feature) I have used many times over a long period of time. Word has a great word counting feature, as we all know, with words, characters, etc.

But did you also know that if you select some text, and then do a word count, it only counts the words in the selection! That has been a life saver for me so often! It's a slightly faster method than that suggested by Katalin.

Just select the text you have not yet
... See more
Hi Agnieszka!

Here is a trick (actually, just a feature) I have used many times over a long period of time. Word has a great word counting feature, as we all know, with words, characters, etc.

But did you also know that if you select some text, and then do a word count, it only counts the words in the selection! That has been a life saver for me so often! It's a slightly faster method than that suggested by Katalin.

Just select the text you have not yet translated, count the words, then subtract that from the total words in the document, or from the point at which you started the translating that day. This means you will have to keep a note at the end of each day of the running total you have translated, but that's not imposssible. I sometimes use this method just to see how many more words to go!

But there is also another way to get a rough estimate of what you are REALLY wanting to do, in one count. I use Word 2003 on Windows XP, Norwegian version of both, so I don't know if this works on other combinations, and I'm not 100% sure of the translations I'm giving to the menu items!!

There is under "View" an option for "read" or "read settings" or "reading mode" or "reading format"!! Anyway, it allows you to have a view of your document which only shows the target text. There again you can count your words, or count only those which are selected. You will easily know where you have translated to, since text after that point in this view will still be souce text (you haven't translated it yet!). But all other text is in target, and you can simply select the text from where you have stopped back to where you began for the current day (or session) and see how many words you have accomplished.

This is not quite the same as your question, since source and targets counts are seldom, if ever, the same. But it will certainly offer you a good guide whether you can stop and go to a party (or sleep!) or if you will still have to work on a thousand more words!!

Hope this helps, not quite on your Saturday evening, but maybe it will give you a happier Sunday!

Bill
Collapse

Agnieszka Majchrzak
Agnieszka Majchrzak  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jun 24, 2007

Thanks a lot Katlin and William! I am working with TagEditor, so I guess the only option is partial analysis suggested by Katlin. Thank you very much, I'll try it.
If you know of any other function for TagEditor, to quickly count translated words, please advise!

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
If only you used Déjà Vu... Jun 24, 2007

Is it really that complicated in Trados? In DVX you just go to the Tools menu, click on Word Count, and it tells you how many words you have finished and how many are not finished.

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Different technology Jun 24, 2007

Timothy Barton wrote:

Is it really that complicated in Trados? In DVX you just go to the Tools menu, click on Word Count, and it tells you how many words you have finished and how many are not finished.

I guess you can do the same in Trados if you work in Synergy environment. In "classical" Freelance environment document and translation memory are not "glued" into a project.

BTW - progress report is also available in Transit, so DVX is not so revolutionary

Cheers,
Wojtek

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
agree with Timothy Jun 24, 2007

Timothy Barton wrote:

exactly - a 1 sec operation
much simpler than in Trados
Ewa

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
My point entirely Jun 24, 2007

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

BTW - progress report is also available in Transit, so DVX is not so revolutionary

Exactly. Nothing revolutionary about finding out how many words are left. A basic option that should be available in any CAT program.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Could you break it up into 3000-word documents? Jun 24, 2007

Hi Agnieszka,

If you have to do 3000 words per day, couldn't you chop it up into 3000-word documents before you start, and then do one per day?

Astrid

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you count how many words you have translated?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »