https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/76196-importing_a_tm_file_into_multiterm.html

Importing a TM file into MultiTerm
Thread poster: avsie (X)
avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:16
English to French
+ ...
Jun 24, 2007

Hi everyone,

I am doing an editing job for a client, and I need to check all software call-outs against a "glossary", which is basically a TM. Doing a concordance search for every software call-outs in the text is time-consuming, and I'd rather have MultiTerm check for consistency

Is there any way to import a TM into MultiTerm? I found out that you can use MultiTerm Extract with a TW translation memory, bu
... See more
Hi everyone,

I am doing an editing job for a client, and I need to check all software call-outs against a "glossary", which is basically a TM. Doing a concordance search for every software call-outs in the text is time-consuming, and I'd rather have MultiTerm check for consistency

Is there any way to import a TM into MultiTerm? I found out that you can use MultiTerm Extract with a TW translation memory, but when I tried it gave me an error message (file type not recognized).

I use SDL Trados 2007 with MultiTerm 2007, on a Win XP/SP2, Office 2003 environment.

Thanks in advance,

Marie-Claude

Edit: ok, I managed to open the TW translation memory in MultiTerm Extract, but it doesn't give me the whole TM, just a few terms. What I want is the totality of the TM, and make a termbase out of it Any clues?

[Edited at 2007-06-24 07:44]
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:16
Swedish to English
+ ...
Via Excel Jun 24, 2007

You are trying to use MultiTerm in a way that it was not designed for, so not surprisingly there is no obvious or standard way of doing what you want to do.

However, I have been in a similar situation to yours, and done what you want to do by editing the glossary in order to create an Excel spreadsheet which can then be easily loaded using MultiTerm Convert.

I edited the TM export file (using UltraEdit, though you can use MS Word) to strip out everything but the source
... See more
You are trying to use MultiTerm in a way that it was not designed for, so not surprisingly there is no obvious or standard way of doing what you want to do.

However, I have been in a similar situation to yours, and done what you want to do by editing the glossary in order to create an Excel spreadsheet which can then be easily loaded using MultiTerm Convert.

I edited the TM export file (using UltraEdit, though you can use MS Word) to strip out everything but the source and taringet segments. Create two columns - one with source segments, the other with the target segments. Very tedious to do manually, so worth creating some simple macros to speed up the process.

Then you can copy the source column into column A of an empty Excel spreadsheet and the target column into column B. Make sure that the first row of your spreadsheet contains the name of your source and target language, and you are then ready to use MultiTerm Convert.
Collapse

avsie (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's the problem... Jun 24, 2007

Thanks Peter for your reply. It's very tedious indeed to do the work manually, and my TM contains 3000 units! That's why I was looking for an automatic way of doing it

Something to suggest to SDL developpers I guess!

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
try to do the job with MemoQ or Olifant Jun 24, 2007

Maybe you have to leave the Trados universe for a moment to get this job done. Two tools you can try are Olifant and MemoQ. MemoQ surely has this functionality as TMs and TBs are interchangeable: you can import a TMX TM into a term base and then export the term base into CSV format, which is a format Multiterm most probably also reads. This functionality is only included in v2.1. Olifant probably does the same, but I never tried.

avsie (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Giving it a try! Jun 24, 2007

I'm currently downloading MemoQ, I'll definitely give it a try.

Thank you so much!

Éric Cléach
Éric Cléach  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
Use XBench Jun 25, 2007

Marie-Claude,

XBench allows you to load virtually any CAT format and to export (Tools>Export Items) the contents as a tab-delimited file (TXT). You can then create a termbase with this file via MTConvert.

You can download XBench here: http://www.apsic.com/en/downloads.aspx

[Modifié le 2007-06-25 07:25]

avsie (X)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Jun 25, 2007

Thanks Éric for the suggestion, I'll be sure to try it out... eventually. Since the job was quite urgent, I had to do without a termbase for now, but I'll keep everything in mind for later. I'd like to give it a try for a TM made of software strings that I have at work, it'd be nice to have it as a termbase!

Thanks again everyone for your help, it's highly appreciated!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing a TM file into MultiTerm

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »