Mobile menu

Using Arabic TM to translate - characters are corrupted
Thread poster: imprimatur
Local time: 14:16
English to German
Jun 26, 2007

Dear All

Could anyone tell me why, when I try to translate a file using an Arabic memory, after I close the segment the Arabic characters become corrupt. In the TM the Arabic characters display correctly and I have tried this on versions 6.5 and 2006. Any advice would be great.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-06-26 18:37]

Direct link Reply with quote

Owen Davies
Local time: 22:16
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Similar problem Jun 27, 2007

Hi Imprimatur,
I had a similar problem not so long ago. I managed to fix it by going to :
File -> Setup -> Fonts in the TM and selecting
Source default font: Arial
Target default font: Akhbar MT (I actually found that Arial Unicode MS also worked for Arabic)
Target languages: Arabic (Egypt) - depends on your target language of course -
Target Font:
Akhbar MT

Save your changes then restart your TM with your TTX file. Hopefully that will work. If not, you might just want to continue allowing Trados to do what it likes to the fonts when it closes the segment as it has probably saved it correctly in the memory. Then when you come to clean up it "should" display everything correctly. But fixing the fonts would be a nicer solution.

All the best

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Arabic TM to translate - characters are corrupted

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs