Any perceptible improvements in Trados 2007?
Thread poster: Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 03:44
English to Portuguese
Jun 26, 2007

Hi

Working with Trados 2007 since its launch, I have experienced more problems than improvements comparing with Trados 2006 ("Illegal index" messages, crashes, etc.). I am about to go back to the "old reliable" Trados 2006, but first I would like to know if anyone has noticed any perceptible improvements so far, from a end-user standpoint.

Rgds

Edric

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Back to ye olde faithful Jun 26, 2007

Well, I should have done that before. Trados 2006 is working great as usual with Office 2003. I'll keep Trados 2007 on the shelf, waiting for better updates...

Edric

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 08:44
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
two steps forward, one step back Jun 27, 2007

I was initially glad to have the problem of footnotes in word solved. However, the rest was more or less a nightmare and I relapsed to 2006 build 715 I think, with the additional penalty that MultiTerm and TWB do not like each other anymore. Java version? Dotnet version? I have no idea. I just know I went to such desperate measures as cleaning by hand my registry of any entries smkacking of SDL and/or TRADOS and/or MultiTerm.

Did not suffice (sigh).

I am now facing the
... See more
I was initially glad to have the problem of footnotes in word solved. However, the rest was more or less a nightmare and I relapsed to 2006 build 715 I think, with the additional penalty that MultiTerm and TWB do not like each other anymore. Java version? Dotnet version? I have no idea. I just know I went to such desperate measures as cleaning by hand my registry of any entries smkacking of SDL and/or TRADOS and/or MultiTerm.

Did not suffice (sigh).

I am now facing the ridiculous situation that my rinkyink notebook is in a better position than the flagship system to do translations...
Collapse

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
I had to uninstall all things Trados 2007-related Jun 27, 2007

Hi Vito

After installing Trados 2006 back, did you run "Register SDL Trados 2006 Freelance" to finish the installation?
If you did, perhaps if you download and apply the Cumulative Patch (found in SDL Download page of your SDL account) you get rid of the problems.
I did it "by the book": unistalled Trados 2007 and MTerm 2007, after returning the license, via Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs. Then I installed Trados 2006 (build 756 becomes build 759 after applying t
... See more
Hi Vito

After installing Trados 2006 back, did you run "Register SDL Trados 2006 Freelance" to finish the installation?
If you did, perhaps if you download and apply the Cumulative Patch (found in SDL Download page of your SDL account) you get rid of the problems.
I did it "by the book": unistalled Trados 2007 and MTerm 2007, after returning the license, via Control Panel's Add or Remove Programs. Then I installed Trados 2006 (build 756 becomes build 759 after applying the cumulative patch) and MTerm 7 build 361, and run "Register SDL Trados 2006 Freelance" to finish the installation. All uninstall and reinstall happened without any problems.

Edric
Collapse

how to Jun 27, 2007

Hi,

we are about to switch from Trados 2006 to the 2007 version. Until now, our tests have not shown any hard errors. We had one crash when working with TagEditor, but nothing else.

Could you please provide some information under which circumstances the problems occur? Which file formats do you worked with, when you had these problems.

If Trados 2007 have so much problems it may be no good idea to switch now.

Thanks in advance!

Mic
... See more
Hi,

we are about to switch from Trados 2006 to the 2007 version. Until now, our tests have not shown any hard errors. We had one crash when working with TagEditor, but nothing else.

Could you please provide some information under which circumstances the problems occur? Which file formats do you worked with, when you had these problems.

If Trados 2007 have so much problems it may be no good idea to switch now.

Thanks in advance!

Michael
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks for the hints Jun 27, 2007

It was all my own fault. I first switched down from 2007 to 2006 TWB (cant state my reasons, but it was definitely not because I had nothing else to do) and the new MultiTerm and the last-year TWB worked OK afair until some other software kicked in (Java version update? I really cant say) and then things got nasty. I went and tried to fix the situation and on the way I cancelled some deinstallation in the middle of the process, which of course is absolutely stupid and a mortal sin, whatever th... See more
It was all my own fault. I first switched down from 2007 to 2006 TWB (cant state my reasons, but it was definitely not because I had nothing else to do) and the new MultiTerm and the last-year TWB worked OK afair until some other software kicked in (Java version update? I really cant say) and then things got nasty. I went and tried to fix the situation and on the way I cancelled some deinstallation in the middle of the process, which of course is absolutely stupid and a mortal sin, whatever the software or its version

Again, I appreciate your hints.

Regards
Collapse

Edric Barbosa Filho
Edric Barbosa Filho
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Upgrade from Trados 2006 to Trados 2007... Jun 27, 2007

Great, Vito

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
The usual things you can expect Jun 27, 2007

In the initial 2007 release I couldn't create new Termbases in Multiterm.

And in the initial release Trados Workbench corrupted one of my TMs. Lesson learned: export often to TMX.

In the May 2007 release the Multiterm problem was fixed.

On the Workbench side the Invalid index and other more cryptic messages appear. The usual thing with WB.

Once I could not export a big DOC translated in the TTX workflow.

The SDLX side of the suite
... See more
In the initial 2007 release I couldn't create new Termbases in Multiterm.

And in the initial release Trados Workbench corrupted one of my TMs. Lesson learned: export often to TMX.

In the May 2007 release the Multiterm problem was fixed.

On the Workbench side the Invalid index and other more cryptic messages appear. The usual thing with WB.

Once I could not export a big DOC translated in the TTX workflow.

The SDLX side of the suite is much more predictable, although it failed to export a big doc once, too. I guess it's because of t he RTF conversion it relies upon for DOC files.

All in all, the usual thing with SDL Trados.

Regards,

Piotr
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any perceptible improvements in Trados 2007?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »