MS Word - Memory running low
Thread poster: Alison Jeffries-Thierry

Alison Jeffries-Thierry  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:02
French to English
Jun 27, 2007

Using a Pentium 4 (3.2 GHz, 1GB of RAM) I am translating an average size document (967 KB, with no graphics), using Translator's Workbench 7.5.0.756. MS Word 2003 often states that there is unsufficient memory, runs more slowly and forces me to split documents.
Any suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:02
Russian to English
any other applications open? Jun 27, 2007

If you have other applications open, then close them and see how that works.
I hate to say it but I think you might consider adding a whole chunk of RAM! It would probably make everything run much faster.

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:02
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Add RAM Jun 27, 2007

Megan Lehmann wrote:

If you have other applications open, then close them and see how that works.
I hate to say it but I think you might consider adding a whole chunk of RAM! It would probably make everything run much faster.

Do just as Megan suggests. I did, and it solved my problem which, by the way, presented only when TRADOS was running. I tried many things and even considered buying a new computer but adding just 512K RAM solved my woes.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
already 1GB of RAM Jun 27, 2007

Thanks for your comments - the only other application is a web browser (necessary) but I think Luisa made a good point ... TRADOS obviously uses a lot more RAM than other software I've used.

MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Russian to English
it does Jun 27, 2007

Trados does use a lot of RAM.
If you are using Internet Explorer as your browser, that could be part of it, too. When ever I have a bit of a freeze-up or when things start moving very slowly, usually IE is the culprit.
Either way, you won't regret getting some more RAM. Good luck!

Catherine Brix
Swedish to English
+ ...
Spyware? Jun 27, 2007

I'm no expert by any means, but isn't 1G RAM adequate for translating a 967 KB document with no graphics using Trados? Have you checked for spyware? I had a similar problem not long ago, though most often when I opened PDF files, so on the advice of a colleague I downloaded and ran an application called XoftSpy. It found all kinds of goodies, cleaned 'em out and voila, problem solved.

But like I said, I'm no expert so I may be way off base...

Good luck
Catherine

Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Two tips Jun 27, 2007

In Word, are you working in "Normal view"? If so, change to Print view (View > Print) [my Word is in Spanish so the English name might a bit different].

Also, if your translation memory is too big, it might be a good idea to reorganise it. To do so, in Trados Workbench, go to File > Reorganise.

HTH.

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:02
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TagEditor Jun 27, 2007

Have you tried working in TagEditor? A lot of the problems that you might run into when using the Word/Workbench combination are eliminated in TagEditor. It might take a little while to open the Word file in TE, but once you have a ttx file, it should go much faster.

Word constantly "re-digests" lots of hidden information such as pagination, bookmarks, indexing code etc.

French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for all the suggestions ... Jun 28, 2007

I appreciate all the suggestions ... I'll have a look at all of them. I've separated the text into chunks so far, when the memory runs low, which is not convenient at all. Could be a spyware issue. The suggestion about TagEditor is interesting, so I'll try all of these. Thanks everyone!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word - Memory running low

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs