Mobile menu

A Word file created in Israel and Trados
Thread poster: Kristine Sprula (Lielause)

Kristine Sprula (Lielause)  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 04:11
English to Latvian
+ ...
Jun 27, 2007

Dear Colleagues!
I have a Word file to translate from English to Latvian. The source file has been created in Israel. I have created my TM with Latvian as the target language. When I open a segment, the line for the target language appears in Hebrew, not Latvian. When I write the translation in the open segment, the writing starts from the right side to the left. Afterwards the translated text is aligned to the right.
I have no idea how to solve this problem. I really hope to get some advice.

Kr.

[Rediģēts plkst. 2007-06-27 22:47]

Direct link Reply with quote

mjbjosh
Local time: 03:11
English to Latvian
+ ...
Try a different format Jun 27, 2007

I dont really know if it works, but my thought was, you should just try to open the doc and save the file in .txt or .rtf format.

I hope the colleagues working with right to left languages can give you a more grounded advice.

nordiste  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:11
Member (2005)
English to French
+ ...
open in MS Word and select ENGLIS form the tools/language menu Jun 28, 2007

Try to open the English file in MS Word, select all the text, then choose Tools/language from the Tools menu and select English (US or UK) .
Then save the .doc file.

You might get some message like "the hebrew dictionnary is not installed" or something similar, just ignore it.

Kristine Sprula (Lielause)  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 04:11
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does not work! Jun 28, 2007

nordiste wrote:

Try to open the English file in MS Word, select all the text, then choose Tools/language from the Tools menu and select English (US or UK) .
Then save the .doc file.

You might get some message like "the hebrew dictionnary is not installed" or something similar, just ignore it.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it does not work. The source text is in English.
When the segment is opened, the source text remains in English, but the target text changes to Hebrew.

Besides, when I choose to close the segment by "restore source", the source text remains English, but is aligned to the right.

[Rediģēts plkst. 2007-06-28 09:20]

document template Jun 28, 2007

I don't know about this problem, but perhaps there is a document template in the doc you want to translate.
If the (Standard)Font is defined as something right-to-left this may cause the problem.
You can check if there is a document template used, when you go to "Tools" -> "Templates and Add-Ins..."

You can check what is the (Standard) font too, if you take a look at the "Normal" style sheet under "Styles and Formatting". If you open the "Styles and Formatting" and move the mouse over the "Normal" formatting then you see what is behind this style.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A Word file created in Israel and Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs