Zeynep YESIN YALCIN  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 15:58
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jun 28, 2007

Dear forum members,

One of my friends, while translating a word document through the assistance of TRADOS, all of a sudden received an error message "end of a paragraph not found".

We have searched the forums about this error and tried to fix this however, unfortunately we could not able to solve the problem. He is using Office 2003 and SDL Trados 2006 Freelance.

Could you please make your comments about how to fix this problem? Please try to inform me your solutions in a detailed way.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance on the subject.

Regards

Zeynep

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:58
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just insert a paragraph mark after the segment in question Jun 28, 2007

When you receive such reply from Trados, you are either trying to translate an automated table of contents or your segment does not have a closing paragraph mark before a page or a section break.
These are the most common reasons for such error.

Jerzy

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 09:58
English to Portuguese
That's it... Jun 28, 2007

In Word, click in the "Show all" shortcut button (¶), so you can see all hidden characters, find last character of the paragraph that Trados is stopping at, position the cursor right after that last character, and hit Enter. That will put the "end of paragraph" char (¶) where it is missing. Then "Open/Get" the segment normally.
Edric

Zeynep YESIN YALCIN  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 15:58
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still the same problem exists Jun 29, 2007

Edric Barbosa Filho wrote:

In Word, click in the "Show all" shortcut button (¶), so you can see all hidden characters, find last character of the paragraph that Trados is stopping at, position the cursor right after that last character, and hit Enter. That will put the "end of paragraph" char (¶) where it is missing. Then "Open/Get" the segment normally.
Edric

Thanks for your all comments. However, unfortunately, I could not able to solve the problem although I have applied your solutions.

When I click on the "Show all" button, I saw all the hidden characters. (¶) character exists at the end of each sentence and the paragraph. As Jerzy pointed out, I am trying to translate an automated table of contents. But at the end of each sentence or line, there is (¶) character. Therefore, it seems this is not the reason for this reason.

Any other comments please.

Zeynep

Elena Robles Sanjuan  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Open and repair Jun 29, 2007

Hello,

The previous answers are absolutely right, and that is what I normally do whenever I have that error message.
But I have also found another tip very useful: in Word, select "open file" and look for the file in question in the directory search utility. However, instead of selecting "open", choose "open and repair". In many cases Word finds a problem related to the table that can be repaired this way.

Good luck!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Automated means it should not be touched manually Jun 29, 2007

Zeynep YESIN YALCIN wrote:

Edric Barbosa Filho wrote:

Edric

Thanks for your all comments. However, unfortunately, I could not able to solve the problem although I have applied your solutions.

When I click on the "Show all" button, I saw all the hidden characters. (¶) character exists at the end of each sentence and the paragraph. As Jerzy pointed out, I am trying to translate an automated table of contents. But at the end of each sentence or line, there is (¶) character. Therefore, it seems this is not the reason for this reason.

Any other comments please.

Zeynep

So just stop translating TOC. Translate the whole document instead and then actualise the TOC by placing the cursor within the TOC and pressing F9. Then chose "rebuild" and that's it.
Automated TOC should NEVER be translated manually.

Jerzy

Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 09:58
English to Portuguese
Indeed, and update the TOC after cleanup... Jun 29, 2007

I'd like to add that, after translating the document (leaving the TOC alone), only update the automated TOC after cleaning the document up. If you update it while the DOC or RTF is still in bilingual form, the TOC will show both source and target sentences and will look pretty messy. Cleanup the document and then you update the TOC. Should be OK.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"end of paragraph not found" error

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs