SDL Trados 2006 - Installation not possible - same problem with version 7.1
Thread poster: Béatrice Leclercq

Béatrice Leclercq  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:59
French to German
+ ...
Jun 29, 2007

Hi all,

I wanted to install SDL Trados 2006 (Version 7.5.0 Build 756) on my PC (Windows XP SP2), but when I try to run the installation file, I see the following message on my screen (sorry, it's in German):

C:\Programme\SDLTrados2006_FL_756.exe ist keine zulässige Win32-Anwendung

Then I called my PC service guy and he explained me that this means the software is not suitable for Windows XP.

I have had my PC checked recently and the whole system has been reinstalled and optimized (so that it runs faster). Before, I ran SDL Trados 7.1 without any problems, so after the difficulties I mentioned above I thought I could at least install this older version (Version 7.1.0 Build 719).

Unfortunately, I get the same message:

C:\Programme\SDLTrados71_Freelance_7.1.0.719.exe ist keine zulässige Win32-Anwendung.

Has anyone heard of this problem? Is there a solution? I've searched the forum, but did'nt find anything related to that. If you know what to do, but prefer to write in German or French, you can also write me an e-mail via my profile.

Thanks a lot and I wish you a nice weekend, wherever you are!

PS: From what I read in other forum posts, the 2006 version (= 7.5 version) usually runs on Windows XP systems?! So what might be the problem here?

[Bearbeitet am 2007-06-29 17:55]

[Bearbeitet am 2007-06-29 18:10]

Direct link Reply with quote
Edric Barbosa Filho
Local time: 19:59
English to Portuguese
Fire the PC service guy... Jun 29, 2007

The Trados installation program is not being accepted by the OS. XP sees it as not being a Win32 application, and it definitely is. It seems that the installation file is corrupted. I suggest downloading Trados full package again from the source and try to install. If XP refuses again, try to install the package on another XP machine. If it does, the problem could be in your XP. Edric

[Edited at 2007-06-29 19:00]

elherrera  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:59
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
Fall down 7 times ... Jun 30, 2007

I had a similar problem installing SDL Trados 2007 on Windows XP SP2- the first release which was bad globally I think, then the updated build 822 which still caused me grief.

I got the same Win 32 error - multiple times. I went through this with SDL tech support - first per their instructions and then via Webex - multiple times. And my system had also been recently checked and optimized too.

Unfortunately we had to uninstall 2007 and download then reinstall/reregister, etc. the old version - 2006. Then we had to uninstall/download/reinstall 2007 build 822 many times.

Like Eric says, the file was corrupted (more than once) but we eventually got build 822 up and running smoothly.

They advised to uninstall 2006 and just keep 2007/8.0 on my machine. So I did.

It may take multiple tries. "Fall down seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb. Good luck. Edward

Béatrice Leclercq  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:59
French to German
+ ...
Thank you guys! Jun 30, 2007

Hello Edric and Edward,

thanks for your replies, at least now I don't feel alone with this problem anymore. The PC I was talking about is my laptop, and on my desktop PC (also with XP), Trados 7.1 is running normally. O.K., I'll try and try again, and hopefully it will work in the near future...
I'll post a message here when the problem is solved.

Best regards,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2006 - Installation not possible - same problem with version 7.1

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs