Mobile menu

How to import TM into Trados?
Thread poster: xxxBBaur
United States
Local time: 17:08
English to German
+ ...
Jan 15, 2003

How do you import TM from Wordfast into Trados?

I have done a translation with Wordfast (the free version) which is limited to approximately 240 translation units. I cannot use it anymore. Now the same client wants to add to the documents. So how can I import the TM into Trados and how do I export it from Wordfast?

Direct link Reply with quote
Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:08
English to German
+ ...
Convert TM Jan 15, 2003

Wordfast has an option to convert TMs into TMX/TMW format.

Open your Wordfast toolbar, choose the last button in this toolbar (with an \"f\" on it). It will take a moment, until the whole menu opens up. On opening, the tab \"Translation memory\" -> \"Files\" should appear itself, if not, choose them yourself.

Among the three buttons that appear (Open, New, Export TM) choose Export, but before pressing it, decide which format to use.

To import it into Trados, you should use TMX (I think).

I once installed the Trados Demo on my computer, but I removed it recently, so I am sorry, I cannot tell you exactly how to import it into Trados. Browse the menu to find the \"import TM\" option.

I know it is there, since I imported TMs myself once.

Hope that helped.

Maybe someone else can give you more detailed information on how to import it into Trados.

German to English
+ ...
Not so complicated Jan 15, 2003

Hi Birgit,

I am not familiar with Wordfast but I presume you can easily create .txt and .rtf files from it. There must be an option under file or edit that lets you export translation memories, do so and save as .txt, .rtf or .tmx.

Once you have done that, simply decide if you would like to incorporate the memory into an already existing Trados translation memory or if you would like to create a new one. Then in Translator\'s Workbench click on File > Import. A dialog box opens, you can choose some settings here - I have for example

1. small file, do not reorganise TM (this would be the option for your importation), 2. merge new translation units with existing ones and

3. add to the configuration

(this is a rough translation into English, as I use Spanish version of Trados).

Click on accept and then locate the .txt, .rtf or .tmx file you want to import. Translator\'s workbench automatically does the rest.

To ensure that all is well, once the process is complete, go back to Translator\'s Workbench, File > Maintenance and then click on \"start search\" - you should see the imported segments listed here (as the last entries).

Hope it helps!

Mirella Soffio  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Ho to import TM in Trados Jan 15, 2003

you can import a plain .txt file in Trados.

Open the Translator Workbench, select File, then Import; check any option you want to apply to the import, then click OK and choose the file to import.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Check the formatting Jan 15, 2003

On 2003-01-15 12:27, mirella wrote:

you can import a plain .txt file in Trados.

That is true, but the success of that import will depend on the formatting of that .txt file, most importantly on matching language codes. For instance, if you try to import a text file containing units tagged \"Englisch\" and \"Deutsch\" into a memory where the tages are \"English\" and \"German\", this isn\'t going to work.

Robert Bethell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:08
Member (2011)
Italian to English
+ ...
For SDL Trados 2009? Nov 8, 2010

Does anyone know how to perform the same procedure as above but in SDL Trados 2009?

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Amazing how these.... Nov 8, 2010

..... really old posts get brought back up to the surface from time to time..! 2003 could be a record for my eyes anyway.

In Studio the same warnings apply that Ralf mentioned as formatting and language codes in Wordfast may differ for example. But the process is simple using upgrade rather than import.

Go to Tools -Upgrade Translation Memories. In here you can either upgrade your TXT TM to an SDLTM, or select an SDLTM and the TXT TM at the same time and merge them together.

Gabriela Valenzuela
Local time: 15:08
English to Spanish
I have a question Dec 19, 2011

I just emerged two memories into one but I noticed that the memories have diffeent source language. One has International Spanish as source language and the second one has ecuadorian Spanish as the source language. I haven't had any problems with this new memory so far...but I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem in the future.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import TM into Trados?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs