Thread poster: maryrose
maryrose
maryrose  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:50
English
+ ...
Jul 3, 2007

Hi everyone

I have been reading all the Trados/Vista posts with great interest, having been recently compelled to buy a new laptop while travelling. Of course the OS is Vista.

I have Trados 6.5. I gather that the best combination for Vista is Trados 2006 with Office 2003. My question is, will I be able to install Trados 6.5 (build 417) in the first place, in order to upgrade to the 2006 version? Or will I have to buy, heaven forbid, the full 2006 version?

... See more
Hi everyone

I have been reading all the Trados/Vista posts with great interest, having been recently compelled to buy a new laptop while travelling. Of course the OS is Vista.

I have Trados 6.5. I gather that the best combination for Vista is Trados 2006 with Office 2003. My question is, will I be able to install Trados 6.5 (build 417) in the first place, in order to upgrade to the 2006 version? Or will I have to buy, heaven forbid, the full 2006 version?

Many thanks.

Maryrose
Collapse

Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:20
German to French
+ ...
Trados 2007 Jul 3, 2007

You will probably have (heaven forbid) to upgrade from Trados 6.5 to 2007.
2007 is the only one specifically made to work properly with Vista.

maryrose
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
installing trados 2007 Jul 3, 2007

Thanks for that Yolande - I was really wondering whether I would be able to install my current version, 6.5, on the computer that has Vista, in order to upgrade it, or if Vista will refuse the installation, forcing me to buy the full package.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks.
Maryrose

Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:20
German to French
+ ...
Trados on Vista Jul 3, 2007

If I remember well, before Trados 2007 came out, some translators had to "hack" their security functions of the new Vista to be able to start Trados 2006 or Vista would block it.

If you are not keen on configuring your computer that way, you probably won't be able to start 6.5 either.

Edit: when you upgrade, you get a brand new copy of the software. You actually only upgrade the license (you enter the number of your old license and get a new license for the new Trados t
... See more
If I remember well, before Trados 2007 came out, some translators had to "hack" their security functions of the new Vista to be able to start Trados 2006 or Vista would block it.

If you are not keen on configuring your computer that way, you probably won't be able to start 6.5 either.

Edit: when you upgrade, you get a brand new copy of the software. You actually only upgrade the license (you enter the number of your old license and get a new license for the new Trados that you install from scratch) so the installation doesn't make a difference.

[Edited at 2007-07-03 10:33]
Collapse

maryrose
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Buying the full version then! Jul 3, 2007

My worst fear! Thanks for the warning, Yolande.

Maryrose

abexia
abexia
Japanese to English
Probably no need for full version Jul 6, 2007

From my past experience upgrading Trados, you probably won't have to buy the full version if you can prove you previously owned the earlier version. Your price will be pro-rated to the version you previously owned.

You can see the prices here:
http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdltrados2007/upgrade/

Also, you can download a 30 day
... See more
From my past experience upgrading Trados, you probably won't have to buy the full version if you can prove you previously owned the earlier version. Your price will be pro-rated to the version you previously owned.

You can see the prices here:
http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdltrados2007/upgrade/

Also, you can download a 30 day trial of SDL 2007 here:
http://www.trados.com/en/

I'm dealing with exactly the same issue too, changing from an XP based computer to a Vista based one. If it's too difficult, I might just install XP on my new laptop and go from there. I don't really need Vista.

Hope it helps.
David Roberts
Abexia Translation
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

installing Trados with Vista

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »