Dealing with .tmx files in Trados
Thread poster: Iván Madrigal

Iván Madrigal  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:12
English to Spanish
Jul 3, 2007

Hi all, dear colleagues

I have a client that instead of sending the files directly to translate with Trados on Word or TagEditor just uploaded a bunch of .tmx files on his server...

Is there any way I can transform that into "workable" files with Trados?

Thanks in advance for your help and sorry if this seems obvious, but it´s the first time I come across this.

Cheers,
Iván

Direct link Reply with quote

Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:12
English to Latvian
they're memory files Jul 3, 2007

Hi,

Do I understand you correctly: that you wish to transform tmx files to source files to be translated?
In fact, .tmx files are exported TM (memory) files and are not "translatable" files.

Maybe I misunderstood you. If that's the case, sorry for that.

Iván Madrigal  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
You understood fine, that´s my dillema Jul 3, 2007

Hi Evija, thanks for asnwering.

That is excatly my problem, I always understood that .tmx files are export (or import) files coming or going to Trados translation memories, but all the sudden I have this bunch of .tmx files and the client expects me to translate them.

Before telling the client that these are only translation memory files and looking like a complete noob in case they are not, I wanted to double check and make sure there´s no way to actually convert .tmx files in "translatable" files.

Thanks again for you answer.

Cheers,
Iván

TechText
English to Dutch
+ ...
repetitions first? Jul 3, 2007

Maybe your client wants you to translate repetitions first? If you open the file with notepad you can enter the translations directly into the segment. They then import the file and the repetitions have turned into 100% matches.
Not the easiest way to work, however.

HTH

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
TMX Jul 3, 2007

TMX is the industry-standard format for translation memory files.

TMX is an XML format. You can open and read it in a text editor. Download the files, take a look inside to make sure that they really are TMX, and then you can tell your customer that the files are already translated.

Marc

Evija Rimšāne  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:12
English to Latvian
... Jul 3, 2007

you are welcome

Glad I could help

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dealing with .tmx files in Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs