Mobile menu

SDL TRADOS 2007 is not separated as SDl and Trados?
Thread poster: Lenah Susianty

Lenah Susianty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:38
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Jul 3, 2007

Hi every one, I know nothing basically about SDL Trados. However I bought the 2007 SDL Trados and have just installed it. It came out fine as SDL Trados. But a friend of mine who owned previous version of SDL Trados said he could install the software separately, Trados and SDL separately. I am wondering if it is also the case for SDL Trados 2007. Does anyone know?

thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:38
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Both SDLX and Trados interface are being installed Jul 3, 2007

so you are still free in your choiuce, with which interface you wanna work.
But AFAIR there is no possibility of installing either SDLX or Trados.

Jerzy

Anne Diamantidis  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
I think you´re mixing up between Trados and Sdlx ;-) Jul 3, 2007

Hi Lenah !

I think you´re mixing up between trados, sdl, sdlx...
SDL is the company that owns and develop trados and sdlx - thus the name SDL Trados.
SDLX = the software your friend told you about

Good luck !
Regards,

Anne

Thomas Deschington
Poland
English to Norwegian
+ ...
But they are... Jul 3, 2007

They are installed as two seperate programs (see your "Program files" in Windows). As Jerzy pointed out, you choose which interface you want to work with, Trados Workbench with Word (or TagEditor) or SDLX. Two different things and you can't use the same translation memory with the two programs (then you have to export Trados memory as a TMX memory and import it in SDLX - easy as pie, but still requires some handling).

A nice new feature in 2007, which I haven't started using quite yet, is the Synchronize feature, where you can create projects and visually see how much is left to do. Neat.

(I suggested to SDL that they make a real-time productivity meter, like a plug-in, so when you finish one segment, the memory is updated, and you see there and then how much is left. Would be nice too with a meter which shows how much you've produced per hour. Sometimes that's the only motivation you have... But no luck so far.)

[Edited at 2007-07-03 12:28]

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
confuse Jul 3, 2007

I think you´re mixing up between trados, sdl, sdlx...
SDL is the company that owns and develop trados and sdlx - thus the name SDL Trados.
SDLX = the software your friend told you about

Anne [/quote]

You might be right!

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, but... Jul 3, 2007

Thomas Deschington wrote:

They are installed as two seperate programs (see your "Program files" in Windows). As Jerzy pointed out, you choose which interface you want to work with, Trados Workbench with Word (or TagEditor) or SDLX. Two different things and you can't use the same translation memory with the two programs (then you have to export Trados memory as a TMX memory and import it in SDLX - easy as pie, but still requires some handling).

A nice new feature in 2007, which I haven't started using quite yet, is the Synchronize feature, where you can create projects and visually see how much is left to do. Neat.

Yes I've seen there is a folder for SDLX lite, but can you tell me how to use it then in the SDL trados synergi? What I have learned is from the synergy you can create project (and as you said it is very nice and yes I can even tell how much left I have to do), I can use thw orkbench and tageditor but I don't know how to get the sdlx there. Thanks for your help!

Thomas Deschington
Poland
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Synergy Jul 3, 2007

That was embarrassing - I wrote Synchronize... Seems like my "authority" on the subject was undermined at the outset!

Well, as far as I know - I haven't gotten into it in-depth yet - Synergy is only for Trados. If you want to do the same thing with SDLX, you have to open the SDLX application, and then you get a green dashboard with many options (Analyse, Edit, etc.) Open the one called Project, and there you have it. The interface is not as flashy as Synergy, but you have more or less the same features: adding source files, adding the translation memory, reporting, project tracking, etc.

I think many are a little confused about this "SDL Trados" thing, but remember they were two entirely different systems before SDL bought Trados, and they still are. I mean you can really do the same thing in them - translate, store to a TM, use term bases, etc., but they are not compatible.

I guess the only reason why they don't make one big monster package of the two is because Trados is so connected to Word (the good thing is that you can format the document as you wish - bad thing is that it is easy to mess with the delimiters), and many people are so used to that interface. Personally, I like SDLX a lot. Much more stable because you're not dependent on Word (which crashes now and then...) but you don't get the same formatting options.

Hope that was somewhat helpful.

[Edited at 2007-07-03 17:49]

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jul 3, 2007

Thomas Deschington wrote:

That was embarrassing - I wrote Synchronize... Seems like my "authority" on the subject was undermined at the outset!

Well, as far as I know - I haven't gotten into it in-depth yet - Synergy is only for Trados. If you want to do the same thing with SDLX, you have to open the SDLX application, and then you get a green dashboard with many options (Analyse, Edit, etc.) Open the one called Project, and there you have it. The interface is not as flashy as Synergy, but you have more or less the same features: adding source files, adding the translation memory, reporting, project tracking, etc.

Hope that was somewhat helpful.

[Edited at 2007-07-03 17:49]

thanks a lot will try your suggestion!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL TRADOS 2007 is not separated as SDl and Trados?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs