Nathalya
Nathalya  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 06:17
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jul 4, 2007

Hello all,

After sending in my translation to the client, I did a Trados analysis of the file, using the most recent TM. Trados tells me I have 42 000 "No Match" words.

Meanwhile, the client sent me her outcome, saying that my files contain 31000 "No Match" words.

Why such a huge difference? I need to make my invoice but don't know what to do if she claims the wordcount to be so different...

Thank you!

Livia D'Ettorre
Livia D'Ettorre  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Italian
+ ...
A question Jul 4, 2007

Hi Nathalya,

I am not too sure I have understood your question correctly. Did you do the translation and, then, analysed the file?
Regards,

Livia

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:17
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just a theory... Jul 4, 2007

Livia D'Ettorre wrote:

Hi Nathalya,

I am not too sure I have understood your question correctly. Did you do the translation and, then, analysed the file?
Regards,

Livia

Could it be that your version of the TM and the client's version don't match? Perhaps they had some translations done by someone else and never sent you the TM segments.

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Some notes Jul 4, 2007

0. Make sure both you and client use the same version of TM.
1. Start from confirming that the total number of segments is the same for both you and your client. You may safely ignore the difference if it's less than 1%.
2. Make sure Minimum Match Value setting is the same (this setting is computer-specific and it's not stored inside TM). This setting says Trados where no-matches start. Default setting is 70%, if your client lowered that setting, there will be less no-matches and mor
... See more
1. Start from confirming that the total number of segments is the same for both you and your client. You may safely ignore the difference if it's less than 1%.
2. Make sure Minimum Match Value setting is the same (this setting is computer-specific and it's not stored inside TM). This setting says Trados where no-matches start. Default setting is 70%, if your client lowered that setting, there will be less no-matches and more 50-74% fuzzy matches.
Collapse

question Jul 5, 2007

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

Hi,

I notices this behaviour different times. But do you (or anybody else) have an idea what may cause this inaccuracy?

Thanks,
Michael

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
No idea Jul 5, 2007

Rahvin wrote:

I notices this behaviour different times. But do you (or anybody else) have an idea what may cause this inaccuracy?

I have no idea, it usually happens when you use different build of Trados.

W.

Nathalya
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Analysis before translating Jul 6, 2007

Livia D'Ettorre wrote:

Hi Nathalya,

Regards,

Livia

Before doing the translation, using the most recent TM they provided me with.

I think I may check with them what their settings for No-matches are. Mine is the default 70%.

Have a nice weekend!

Nathalya
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Wojciech! Jul 6, 2007

Wojciech Froelich wrote:

2. Make sure Minimum Match Value setting is the same (this setting is computer-specific and it's not stored inside TM). This setting says Trados where no-matches start. Default setting is 70%, if your client lowered that setting, there will be less no-matches and more 50-74% fuzzy matches.

Thank you for the useful advice, I'll surely check that!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Differences in Trados analyses/wordcount

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »