Tag Editor Tags in the middle of a word
Thread poster: JennyItaly
JennyItaly
JennyItaly
Local time: 22:35
Italian to English
Jul 4, 2007

Me again - I have been reading some of your excellent tutor docs and some recommend to use Tag Editor instead of Word
So I set Tag Editor as indicated and wanted to try some texts - but I see strange things in tag editor.
For example - in a text with just source there is the word SCOPO (SCOPE/PURPOSE) and in word it is a simple title but in Tag Editor it is broken in two!

I copied it into word out of curiosity and this is what I get :

--cf font="Tahoma" bold
... See more
Me again - I have been reading some of your excellent tutor docs and some recommend to use Tag Editor instead of Word
So I set Tag Editor as indicated and wanted to try some texts - but I see strange things in tag editor.
For example - in a text with just source there is the word SCOPO (SCOPE/PURPOSE) and in word it is a simple title but in Tag Editor it is broken in two!

I copied it into word out of curiosity and this is what I get :

--cf font="Tahoma" bold="off" size="14" complexscriptsfont="Tahoma" complexscriptsbold="off" underlinestyle="none" Sco bookmarkstart name=Scopo" bookmarkend name="Scopo >po CF

This happens many many times during the text file .. divding words or sentences for no apparent reason.
I checked the file in word - but I see no obvious reason ...
Can anyone give me any tips on this ??

Thanks

P.S. I do apologise - I didn't realise the tag couldn't be seen - please eliminate if it is too messy to be in the forum.
Thanks

Jen

[Edited at 2007-07-05 07:27]

[Edited at 2007-07-05 07:28]
Collapse

Stefan Gentz
Stefan Gentz
Local time: 22:35
English to German
+ ...
Manual Formattings Jul 5, 2007

Hi Jen,

without seeing the full tags here, this is probably due to manual format overrides the author created and to word bookmarks. I suggest to make a screenshot from it, send it to the client and ask him to clean up the document. Otherwise I suggest to ask him if you can translate it "manually" without a translation memory system (and charge him correspondingly).

Background information:
TagEditor represents all formatting information and document objects as tag
... See more
Hi Jen,

without seeing the full tags here, this is probably due to manual format overrides the author created and to word bookmarks. I suggest to make a screenshot from it, send it to the client and ask him to clean up the document. Otherwise I suggest to ask him if you can translate it "manually" without a translation memory system (and charge him correspondingly).

Background information:
TagEditor represents all formatting information and document objects as tags.
There are "block level" tags (the dark grey tags) which create segmentation.
And there are "inline" tags which go into the segments. Usually they represent thinks like formatting information in a character or word level like bold or italic or "segment internal" objects like index markers.

If there are manual formatting information like bold or italic tag editor creates tags to show (and preserve) where the formatting starts and where it ends.

Some Authors / Writers are not familiar with creating "clean" documents. To guarantee that their documents make it smooth through the translation supply chain, they need to learn how to create technical clean documents that can be processes within a translation memory systems.
If they are not willing (or able?) to create documents that follow best authoring practice with respect to tm based workflows, their documents should not be processed with translation memory systems but manually with full "old school" chargement.
There are enough service provider out there who can help authors to create clean and straightforward documents that work fine through the complete document life cycle and translation processes. We should not reward clients who are not willing to spend the few bugs for a professional consulting or professional tech writers...

Regards,
Stefan Gentz
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor Tags in the middle of a word

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »