Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 19:55
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 5, 2007

Hi everyone,

Given that there have already been two topics asking about the compatibility of Trados 7 with Windows Vista, and both had a comment or two saying that they could not be used together, I thought that I would share my experience in case it is helpful to anyone:

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, Microsoft Office XP, and Trados 7 (I think it's 7.1...I didn't really check and I don't like updating certain software when it's running fine). Moreover, Trados is running on a .lic license file, and not on a dongle (from what I've gathered in previous discussions, this is of crucial importance). Installation went perfectly fine and I have already tested Trados in several scenarios - all of them worked perfectly. I was already thinking that I would need to get my IT hat on to fix some issues, but I didn't have to touch a thing. So yes, apparently Trados 7 (with a .lic file rather than a dongle, which I find to be a prehistoric method anyway) can work with Windows Vista.

However, you must take certain elements into consideration:

1) I'm not using a dongle.

2) I'm using Office XP, not Office 2007.

Moreover, I agree with previous posts on this topic that suggest staying with XP and your current configuration. Windows Vista just happened to be the operating system on my new laptop, and I can't say I was too happy about this (I did ask - they wouldn't install XP instead). In fact, I was even less happy when I found out I had a 6-month trial version of the newest Norton Internet Security Suite, which is not as straightforward to uninstall as it should be. But that's another story. The point is: if you have XP and/or a previous version of Microsoft Office, and it has been working perfectly, keep it. Upgrading, especially with products from certain companies, is a mistake if the product has just been released recently (or, in some cases, at all!).

[Edited at 2007-07-05 07:48]

[Edited at 2007-07-05 08:01]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7 can work with Windows Vista

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs