Marcelo Silveyra
United States
Local time: 17:33
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 5, 2007

Hi everyone,

Given that there have already been two topics asking about the compatibility of Trados 7 with Windows Vista, and both had a comment or two saying that they could not be used together, I thought that I would share my experience in case it is helpful to anyone:

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, Microsoft Office XP, and Trados 7 (I think it's 7.1...I didn't really check and I don't like updating certain software when it's running fine). Moreover
... See more
Hi everyone,

Given that there have already been two topics asking about the compatibility of Trados 7 with Windows Vista, and both had a comment or two saying that they could not be used together, I thought that I would share my experience in case it is helpful to anyone:

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium Edition, Microsoft Office XP, and Trados 7 (I think it's 7.1...I didn't really check and I don't like updating certain software when it's running fine). Moreover, Trados is running on a .lic license file, and not on a dongle (from what I've gathered in previous discussions, this is of crucial importance). Installation went perfectly fine and I have already tested Trados in several scenarios - all of them worked perfectly. I was already thinking that I would need to get my IT hat on to fix some issues, but I didn't have to touch a thing. So yes, apparently Trados 7 (with a .lic file rather than a dongle, which I find to be a prehistoric method anyway) can work with Windows Vista.

However, you must take certain elements into consideration:

1) I'm not using a dongle.

2) I'm using Office XP, not Office 2007.

Moreover, I agree with previous posts on this topic that suggest staying with XP and your current configuration. Windows Vista just happened to be the operating system on my new laptop, and I can't say I was too happy about this (I did ask - they wouldn't install XP instead). In fact, I was even less happy when I found out I had a 6-month trial version of the newest Norton Internet Security Suite, which is not as straightforward to uninstall as it should be. But that's another story. The point is: if you have XP and/or a previous version of Microsoft Office, and it has been working perfectly, keep it. Upgrading, especially with products from certain companies, is a mistake if the product has just been released recently (or, in some cases, at all!).

[Edited at 2007-07-05 07:48]

[Edited at 2007-07-05 08:01]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7 can work with Windows Vista

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »