Thread poster: Cayce Hill
Cayce Hill
Cayce Hill  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 6, 2007

I am having trouble closing Word when I've opened it with the Translators Workbench. I get the message "This command is not available because a translation unit is open" I don't understand what that means.

Owen Davies
Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 02:18
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Fix Document Jul 6, 2007

Hi Chill,

I receive the same error every now and then. It seems to depend on how heavily formatted the Word document is. I'm guessing that you can't see any open segments in your document, but word won't let you close because it thinks one is open.

The way I have fixed this in the past is to go to the Trados menu in the Word document, then click "Fix Document" (I think it's "Fix Document" - my menu is in Japanese) or just press Alt + Ctrl + U.
Trados will then run
... See more
Hi Chill,

I receive the same error every now and then. It seems to depend on how heavily formatted the Word document is. I'm guessing that you can't see any open segments in your document, but word won't let you close because it thinks one is open.

The way I have fixed this in the past is to go to the Trados menu in the Word document, then click "Fix Document" (I think it's "Fix Document" - my menu is in Japanese) or just press Alt + Ctrl + U.
Trados will then run through your document looking for any problem documents and fixing them.

After that I check my TM to make sure that the last segment I opened has been saved to the memory. I have found that the memory is always saved perfectly, so I can only assume that it is a problem within Word itself. Either way, Fix Document is a quick and easy way to allow you to close Word. Someone else might have a more long term solution that I would also be happy to hear!
Hope that helps.
Owen
Collapse

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fix document Jul 6, 2007

Try "Fix document" on the Trados menu.

Mervyn

Cayce Hill
Cayce Hill  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fix document Jul 6, 2007

Thank you Mervyn and Owen. I will try the "fix document" function.

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Try "Fix document" on the Trados menu.

Mervyn

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:18
Swedish to English
+ ...
Kill Word Jul 6, 2007

Cayce Hill wrote:
"This command is not available because a translation unit is open"

It means exactly what it says -- Trados thinks you have not completed a particular segment. Unfortunately, you probably cannot see it on your page.

"Fix document" is the first thing to try, as others have suggested, but this does not always work. One typical situation for this problem is that somewhere on your pagethere is a Word table, with fixed height. This can easily conceal the open segment.

I had this problem yesterday ( not for the first time). Fix document did not work. The only solution was to go into Windows Task Manager ( I have Windows XP), click on WINWORD.EXE and click on End Process. This will come up with a WARNING about terminating a process, but you just had to be brave and click Yes. Also close and reload Trados Workbench.

Once you have killed Word like this, you can restart Word from your Start menu. There is a good chance that Word will recover the document and that you will be able to carry on.

If not, then you have little choice but to load the previous backup copy of your document (you do save your work in progress at regular intervals do you not?). All the missing segments will be in your TM, so you can quickly catch up.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

closing translation document in Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »