Mobile menu

Concordance in Trados is really hit and miss
Thread poster: Colin Ryan
Colin Ryan  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:52
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 6, 2007

This has been bugging me for a while now. Often when I highlight some text and do a concordance search, the concordance says it can't be found. Yet I know for a fact that the text is in the TM - if I open the TU, the text gets suggested.
I'm using Trados 7.5 with cumulative service pack 2, and I have recognition turned all the way down to 30%.

Direct link Reply with quote

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Feature, not a bug? Jul 6, 2007

I think this is an old bug inherited from older versions that they still haven't been able to solve. The bug has been there for as long as I can remember (having used Trados for 11 years now).

Sometimes and for some reason, Trados misses especially the first word in the search string. If it's bugging you too much, the only solution I can see is to export to txt format and search the file in a search tool such as Search and Replace. If possible, you could also convert the file into csv format, deleting the codes etc. to make it even more user-friendly.

Barbara Micheletto
Partial member (2005)
Russian to Italian
+ ...
experiencing the problem right now... Jul 6, 2007

Strange as it may seem, I've just noticed that in some cases the concordance can't find a piece of text when I highlight two or more words, but is able to retrieve the translated segments if I highlight only one word. I was just searching "referential values" and the concordance found the translated segments for "referential values" in the TM only after I had highlighted "referential" (being unable to retrieve them when I had highlighted "referential values" though). I'd better highlight word by word then...

Owen Davies
Local time: 15:52
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Some success... Jul 6, 2007

I've found some improvement by referencing a read only memory.
If you go to Translation Memory Options -> Concordance tab
then Browse to the memory that you are currently using and select that as the "Reference (read-only) translation memory:" you might find it gets better.
I've just this evening discovered this for Bulgarian and Arabic, which has saved me a lot of headaches!
Hope that helps,

Martin Wenzel
English to German
+ ...
Here is a way of finding your translation... Jul 7, 2007

A project manager once showed me how you can find a term you know must be in your Trados memory...

Go to file, maintenance, filter, doubleclick on the language you are searching it in, type into the Criterion box *the word or phrase you are searching*, ok, Begin Search...

The phrase you are looking for must have an asterisk before and one after, which will appear as a cross rather than a proper asterisk, so don't get confused...

You should find it now.

Perhaps you didn't create that connection between Multiterm and the Workbench, I forget how you call this now (...

Isn't it faster to press F3 in the work bench program and type in the term you are looking for? Also, please don't forget that if a bulletin precedes the text, it is calculated by Trados and you may not find it...unless your percentage is low (which you said it was), but you may still not find it...

Colin Ryan  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks all... Jul 7, 2007

Thanks to all who responded. I am aware of all the tips you gave me (searching for individual words, searching with *wildcards* etc.) - but it seems to me that the concordance search, the TU search and the Search/Replace search should all be using the SAME part of the Trados software. I mean, if you were developing Trados, would you write three different search programs? I don't think so.
It is really frustrating when this happens (which is every day), and I am getting very, very fed up with it.
Since most of the work I do is in Word, I'm starting to think about moving to Wordfast...
How bad does a program have to be before its licensed users are actually willing to pay money to use a different one? I would say that's pretty bad. (Anyone interested in buying a Trados dongle?) (That's a joke, if any moderators are reading.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Concordance in Trados is really hit and miss

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs