How to separate repetitions from the original file using trados workbench analyse functionality
Thread poster: Navy Huang

Navy Huang
China
Local time: 06:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jul 7, 2007

CAT: SDL Trados 2006
File to analyse: 500000-word file in MS-Word format

Can any one give me some advice on this:

Let's say I have a 500000-word project, 20% of which are repetitions, how can I separate the 20% repetitions from the original file?

I know I can use the "Export frequent segments" to export segments of 2 or more occurrences, but the problem here is I cannot separate the repetitions totally from non-repeat part in the original file. If anyone may be of any help......
many thanks beforehand.

Direct link Reply with quote

tvtruc
Vietnam
Local time: 05:58
English to Vietnamese
Export Unknown Segments Jul 7, 2007

I often use Export Unknown Segments (99% or lower match value).

Cheer!

Navy Huang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Repetitions may have 0% match value Jul 7, 2007

A file may have 50% repetitions but with 0% match value and I doubt "Export unknown segments" will play any role in the case. A wiser solution might be to separate (or "extract") the 50% repetitions from the non-repeat part and translate only the first occurrence of repetitions. What I want to do is only the first occurrence of repetitions should be left in the original file.

But how?

[Edited at 2007-07-07 14:46]

tvtruc
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
Export Unknown Segments Jul 8, 2007

Haijun Huang wrote:

A file may have 50% repetitions but with 0% match value and I doubt "Export unknown segments" will play any role in the case. A wiser solution might be to separate (or "extract") the 50% repetitions from the non-repeat part and translate only the first occurrence of repetitions. What I want to do is only the first occurrence of repetitions should be left in the original file.

But how?

You doubt it, but have you tried it?

I suggest you should, because it works for me.

Navy Huang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nearly all TUs will be exported since they are all below 99% match value Jul 8, 2007

Haijun Huang wrote:

What I want to do is only the first occurrence of repetitions should be left in the original file.

But how?

Repetitions may have 0% match value and if one uses "Export unknown segements 99% or lower match value", nearly all translation units will be exported I am afraid. What I want to do is only the first occurrence of repetitions should be left in the original file and all repeat occurrence can be excluded from the file, so that when I divide the file into different smaller parts and assign to different translators repeat translation can be avoided.

Navy Huang
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
haha, it works Jul 8, 2007

Truc Tran wrote:

I often use Export Unknown Segments (99% or lower match value).

Cheer!

haha, it works, thanks very much.

tvtruc
Vietnam
English to Vietnamese
You're welcome! Jul 9, 2007

Haijun Huang wrote:

haha, it works, thanks very much.

You're welcome:)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to separate repetitions from the original file using trados workbench analyse functionality

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums