Synergy suddenly closes when I try to assign a TDB to a project
Thread poster: ViktoriaG

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:32
English to French
+ ...
Jul 9, 2007

This is a very annoying problem I had today and I was able to reproduce it several times in a row. I looked on SDL's website, and not only was there no mention of this problem, there also didn't seem to be a way for me to report this there (unless I have a paid support agreement, which I don't).

I open Synergy to create a project and walk through the steps "as usual". When I get to the project creation wizard's page which asks me if I want to assign a termbase to my project, I click Add, and then, briefly, another dialog box appears with my list of existing TDBs - and then, I get a fatal error message and Synergy closes. No explanation, just a simple message saying Synergy has to close. Also, when this happens, I can see that my list of TDBs is far from complete, even though all of them are version 7 (or 2006) TDBs. That is also strange...

Anybody has had this problem? Know the solution? Anybody has seen a posting on this by SDL? So far, it looks like it's impossible to assign a TDB to a project, so it looks a lot like a bug. I am just surprised I haven't found anything similar to my complaint elsewhere...

I am not going to go out of the way to contact SDL about this, so if anyone knows a good method to let them know about this that will not have me waste too much time (it's already annoying enough having to assign my license file each time I start the program), please let me know.

I waited until today to install this because I expected things like this to happen and wanted to wait for a stable release - but I have so many issues with this so far that I doubt that a reasonably stable release of SDL Trados 2007 will arrive before 2008...

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:32
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The same problem here Jul 9, 2007

So I just created projects without assigning MT termbases.
As I do those projects for myself and don't need to send them away, I found this not that big problem.

Nevertheless, I would tell the support that.
Jerzy

Sofie
France
German to Dutch
+ ...
Synergy closes when assigning a terminology base Mar 29, 2009

Hello,

I think I have the same problem, so I wondered if you found a solution in the mean time ?

(Thank you Jerzy for the temporary solution !! It worked finally this way.)

So when I create a new project in SDL Trados Synergy, and I come to the step "Bases terminologiques", Synergy closes suddenly once I push the button "Ajouter".

Synergy also always proposes (and searches) the remote termbases, before proposing my local termbases. So I wondered if I can change this and if this could be the cause of the problem.

Thanks to all,
Sofie

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No solution so far Mar 30, 2009

Nothing has changed for me in fact.

Sorry
Best regards
Jerzy

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Used to have the same problem Mar 30, 2009

Tried to re-register everything a hundred times: to no avail. Tried re-installing. The same result.
Re-install my WinXP. Voila! Everything was working all of a sudden.
Well, I don't expect you folks to apply such a drastic cure, but I couldn't find any other solutions. Except not using Synergy, of course...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Synergy suddenly closes when I try to assign a TDB to a project

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs