https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/78023-trados_7_i_cant_open_the_first_segment_of_my_translation.html

TRADOS 7 I can't open the first segment of my translation!
Thread poster: Sophie Cuvex
Sophie Cuvex
Sophie Cuvex
Spain
Local time: 18:50
English to French
+ ...
Jul 10, 2007

Hi everyone,

I have just installed office 2007 and trados 7 on my computer and after having many problems to find the toolbar it seemed to be ok but know that i'm trying to translate a document, it just won't work. I have everything open (workbench, the TM, word) but when I click on the open button, it does not open the segment, it just highlight the first letter of the first word of the segment.

If it has happened to any of you, please tell me what to do, I have a tra
... See more
Hi everyone,

I have just installed office 2007 and trados 7 on my computer and after having many problems to find the toolbar it seemed to be ok but know that i'm trying to translate a document, it just won't work. I have everything open (workbench, the TM, word) but when I click on the open button, it does not open the segment, it just highlight the first letter of the first word of the segment.

If it has happened to any of you, please tell me what to do, I have a translation to do before friday.

thanks a lot

sophie
Collapse

Narcis Lozano Drago
Narcis Lozano Drago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please, confirm this Jul 10, 2007

Hello Sophie,

Is it really Trados 7 or Trados 2007?

And is it in Windows Vista? According to SDL, Trados 7 is not compatible with Windows Vista. You should then upgrade to the 2007 version.

If it's Trados 2007 yesterday there was a similar (but not identical) question.
http://www.proz.com/topic/77843

Please confirm which is your Trados version.
... See more
Hello Sophie,

Is it really Trados 7 or Trados 2007?

And is it in Windows Vista? According to SDL, Trados 7 is not compatible with Windows Vista. You should then upgrade to the 2007 version.

If it's Trados 2007 yesterday there was a similar (but not identical) question.
http://www.proz.com/topic/77843

Please confirm which is your Trados version.

Regards,

Narcis
Collapse

Sophie Cuvex
Sophie Cuvex
Spain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows XP and trados 7. Jul 11, 2007

Hi Narcis,

I'm not using Window Vista, but Window XP and it is Trados 7 I have, not 2007. The weird thing is that workbench doesn't give me any error message, it just won't open any segment.

thanks again

Sophie

Linda Ferwerda
Linda Ferwerda  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Problem is Office 2007 Jul 11, 2007

Hi,

I already installed Trados 8.0 (SDL Trados 2007) on Windows XP and it worked fine till I installed Office 2007 last week. So I guess the problem is Office 2007.

If any one has a solution, I really would appreciate!
For now, I re-installed Office 2003 and can work again.

Linda

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Trados 7.0 will not work with Office 2007 or Windows Vista Jul 11, 2007

Hello,
here is what I found on SDL support Web site:
SDL Trados 2006 product was created long before Windows Vista or MS Office 2007, so it cannot possibly support them.
The new version SDL Trados 2007 (ie Trados 8.0...) will fully support both Windows Vista and Office 2007.

Here is the workaround they suggest:
An important issue with Office 2007 is that DOCX/PPTX/XLSX are the new native file formats.
There is a possible workaround whereby the new file
... See more
Hello,
here is what I found on SDL support Web site:
SDL Trados 2006 product was created long before Windows Vista or MS Office 2007, so it cannot possibly support them.
The new version SDL Trados 2007 (ie Trados 8.0...) will fully support both Windows Vista and Office 2007.

Here is the workaround they suggest:
An important issue with Office 2007 is that DOCX/PPTX/XLSX are the new native file formats.
There is a possible workaround whereby the new file formats can be opened and saved as either Office 2000, Office XP or Office 2003 documents.
Keep parallel installations of MS Office 2003 and 2007. This is technically possible and therefore a viable solution. It is recommended to have Word, Excel and PowerPoint installed in parallel.
Install the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats available from Compatibility Pack. This pack allows Office 2003 to open the new Office 2007 formats.
Use Word 2003 .doc format during the translation step, use the TWB toolbar within Word 2003 (RTF workflow) or TagEditor (TTX workflow).

In conclusion: either upgrade to SDL Trados 2007 (if you are using Windows Vista) or... get back to Office 2003...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TRADOS 7 I can't open the first segment of my translation!

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »