Trados: Working with code & tags in Word & format changes
Thread poster: Elke Fehling

Elke Fehling  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:59
English to German
+ ...
Jul 11, 2007

Hello!

I am working on a big project with RTF files with a lot of code & tags. It usually looks like this:

"Avec , il est facile de créer une copie exacte d’un élément sans utiliser les fonctions et "

I know that Trados has ways to insert these tags into my German translation segment (ctrl + alt + end, for example), but when I do this the text following the tag is displayed in the format the tag has (in my case in red in a specail font I don't want). For this reason I insert my tags after I finished my translation segment or I insert the original French text into my German segment and then write my German translation on top of it.

Both solutions are rather slow and the whole process is annoying.

Does anybody know a way to speed this up? It would be so great if I could just insert the tag with ctrl + alt + something else and then contiue typing...

Thank you!

Elke

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moving the topic... Jul 11, 2007

...to SDL Trados Support.

Please use the forums provided for specific CAT tools, as indicated in the message when posting in this general forum. Thank you.

Best regards,
Ralf

Elke Fehling  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, Jul 11, 2007

but since I am not working with SDL Trados but with Trados 6 Freelance I thought this would be the right forum... But never mind...

[Bearbeitet am 2007-07-11 17:17]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Short answer Jul 12, 2007

Don't worry about the display of the text - it can be green with blinking dots around it and will still come out fine when converted back. You see, these are not regular RTF files but converted from some DTP format (FrameMaker, I presume).

The only thing you'd have to worry about would be if the text were to come out formatted in the "tw4WinInternal" style as that would clash with the conversion process.

This reminds me: You're translating this in Word, aren't you? If so, I highly recommend you switch over to TagEditor. That works much better and is much safer with tags than Word.

HTH,
Benjamin

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
Best practice Jul 13, 2007

First type your text, put double spaces where the tags should be and insert tags at the end, before you close the segment.

Works for me and sometimes helps me spot mistakes when I look at the text again.

Word vs. TagEditor workflow. Often it's the client who chooses Workbench + Word or TagEditor and there's nothing we can do about it.

HTH

Piotr

[Edited at 2007-07-13 06:47]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados: Working with code & tags in Word & format changes

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs