https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/78176-should_i_buy_trados_2007.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Should I buy Trados 2007?
Thread poster: Daniela Ciafardoni
Daniela Ciafardoni
Daniela Ciafardoni  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:06
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 11, 2007

I have been thinking of buying Trados 2007 for some time now, I have Windows Vista and Office 2007, would you advise me to go ahead and buy it? Or would you be able to suggest better options?

I have read that there have been some problems with Trados 2007 in previous topics posted in this forum http://www.proz.com/topic/70046? start=15&float=, are these problems serious enough to prevent me
... See more
I have been thinking of buying Trados 2007 for some time now, I have Windows Vista and Office 2007, would you advise me to go ahead and buy it? Or would you be able to suggest better options?

I have read that there have been some problems with Trados 2007 in previous topics posted in this forum http://www.proz.com/topic/70046? start=15&float=, are these problems serious enough to prevent me from buying the software?
Any suggestions are welcome!
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:06
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just read the previous topic with exactly the same question Jul 11, 2007

even if the wording was slightly different.
Do I have to get Trados?

You may also find this interesting: Pressurized to buy Trados

Regards
Jerzy

[Edited at 2007-07-11 19:50]

Daniela Ciafardoni
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 2007 + Windows Vista + Office 2007 Jul 11, 2007

Hi there,
Thanks for your answer. I have read those posts but what I am mostly interested to know is whether it is worth buying Trados 2007 with Windows Vista and Office 2007 despite the problems people have been experiencing with this combination. I would like to buy Trados rather than other tools because it is the market leader and the most requested, even though I must admit I don't know much about other CAT tools except for Wordfast. However, it is expensive and if it's going to be too
... See more
Hi there,
Thanks for your answer. I have read those posts but what I am mostly interested to know is whether it is worth buying Trados 2007 with Windows Vista and Office 2007 despite the problems people have been experiencing with this combination. I would like to buy Trados rather than other tools because it is the market leader and the most requested, even though I must admit I don't know much about other CAT tools except for Wordfast. However, it is expensive and if it's going to be too slow with Windows Vista maybe it's not worth it?
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I would wait with Vista Jul 11, 2007

But I would clearly go fo Trados 2007 and Office 2003. This is what the market demands. Office 2007 is to new to be a big demand at the moment.
I can assure you this combination works just well with Windows XP.
And Vista? Well, if you have a really powerfull machine, than maybe.
I do have a very powerfull machine here but did not go for Vista - there are too many programs which will most probably not work, so that it would be a big loss for me.

Jerzy

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:06
English to Turkish
+ ...
market demands Jul 12, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

But I would clearly go fo Trados 2007 and Office 2003. This is what the market demands. Office 2007 is to new to be a big demand at the moment.

I didn't know that there was a research made on the demands of the market. It seems like a personal view for me. If this is the case, then my personal view is that many agencies abandoned using Trados.

I agree that Office 2007 is too new to be a big demand at the moment. But it is the same for Trados 2007 as well. Isn't it also too new and too slow?

Daniela Ciafardoni wrote:

I would like to buy Trados rather than other tools because it is the market leader and the most requested, even though I must admit I don't know much about other CAT tools except for Wordfast.

And this is another important point. What actually market leader means? Say tool X is used (forced) by 1,000 agencies but tool Y only by 100 agencies. But size matters here, if you get only one project but 1 million words a year from an agency using tool Y, then no matter what other small agencies prefer.

And information about other tools is essential before making an investment. Everybody is free to buy and use any tool, but to make comparison, one should have experience with many of these tools. As a user of four tools, namely Trados, SDLX, Star and Deja Vu, I can definitely say that Trados would be my last choice.

Annelise Meyer
Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Windows Vista and Office 2003 Jul 12, 2007

Hi,
provided you have a computer powerful enough to run Vista (ie you have at least 2 GB RAM), I would advise to proceed as I did, ie install Office 2003 on it. As it happens with any new release by Microsoft, I think it best to wait until all the initial bugs, the most severe ones, are solved, before using them. Furthermore, you may find that not all of your applications are compatible with Office 2007.
Regarding CAT tools, even though they are expensive and even though you get "pre
... See more
Hi,
provided you have a computer powerful enough to run Vista (ie you have at least 2 GB RAM), I would advise to proceed as I did, ie install Office 2003 on it. As it happens with any new release by Microsoft, I think it best to wait until all the initial bugs, the most severe ones, are solved, before using them. Furthermore, you may find that not all of your applications are compatible with Office 2007.
Regarding CAT tools, even though they are expensive and even though you get "pressurized" to buy them, I would recommend to because I don't think you can work as a (technical) translator without them today.
I don't like Trados, but I am a definite fan of SDLX, which is part of the pack and can replace Trados in many situations. I also tried Wordfast, but I think it is not as complete as the 2 other applications (I found it unstable but then it was a few years ago). In fact, I think the best for you would be to try and test all of these applications on your side (they are all available on trial) so as to make up your mind on your own. Because everyone will always have his or her own reasons for prefering one application over the other and this choice is highly personal. And it's definitely worth the pain it if you're going to work with it everyday)
Good luck
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Personal views Jul 12, 2007

Certainly (almost) no opinion is not biased and completly objective, because as we use to say in Polish "your point of view depends on your point of sitting".
So shall also my remark about market demand be seen.
Nevertheless, my own experiences (so subjective, but somehow representative for German market of technical translation) are so, that nearly 90% customers demand Trados, some 5% Transit and the rest nothing. Customers are translation agencies. Direct customers usually don't de
... See more
Certainly (almost) no opinion is not biased and completly objective, because as we use to say in Polish "your point of view depends on your point of sitting".
So shall also my remark about market demand be seen.
Nevertheless, my own experiences (so subjective, but somehow representative for German market of technical translation) are so, that nearly 90% customers demand Trados, some 5% Transit and the rest nothing. Customers are translation agencies. Direct customers usually don't deman any CAT.
So leaving all personal preferences aside I would just go for that tool, which is asked most by my customer. Period.

Jerzy

PS
You cannot be sure, if Vista supports older applications, as for example your electronic dictionaries. Some of them will still be 16 bit programs... And I'm not sure, if Pagemaker or Framemaker or QuarkXPress 5 do run with Vista. Should they not work, I would have lost a significant part of my work. So before you go for Vista ask for the compatibility of ALL tools you will need to continue using.

[Edited at 2007-07-12 08:48]
Collapse

Daniela Ciafardoni
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 12, 2007

Hello everyone, thanks very much for your kind replies and yes, I will test the trial applications of other CAT tools as well. I love the Polish saying "your point of view depends on your point of sitting" that is very true. I guess I will have to test my "point of sitting as well" !
Daniela

Ana Naglić
Ana Naglić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2005)
English to Croatian
+ ...
No problems Jul 12, 2007

I own IBM Thinkpad R60, with Intel Core 2 Duo processor (1.66) and only 1 Gb RAM. Vista Ultimate runs smoothly. I love the gadgets and find other features quite useful too. I bought it after I bought Trados 2007, as I was buying a new laptop. I also have my old WinXP Dell and I did not want to wait - as I do localisation, testing/working on both is useful. BTW, my new computers' battery runs for 5,5h and I love it.

Daniela Ciafardoni
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Does Trados work fine? Jul 12, 2007

Ananaglic, does your Trados 2007 work fine with Vista then?
Is IBM Thinkpad R60 another CAT tool, I have never heard of it! Is it specific to localisation?
Daniela

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:06
French to English
As an aside Jul 12, 2007

Daniela Ciafardoni wrote:

Hello everyone, thanks very much for your kind replies and yes, I will test the trial applications of other CAT tools as well. I love the Polish saying "your point of view depends on your point of sitting" that is very true. I guess I will have to test my "point of sitting as well" !
Daniela

In English we also say "Where you stand depends on where you sit!"

Thanks for an informative thread.

FWIW

Stephanie

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No problems with what? Jul 12, 2007

No one has ever questioned, that Vista works.
As should also be assumed, SDL Trados 2007 will work with Vista. The same is for Office, where in fact all versions starting from 97 shall work (according to the information I could find in some computer magazine). But Some older programs will not work. For example Corel Draw older than 9, Nero older than 6 and so on. Because Pagemaker, Framemaker or QuarkXPress are not commonly used program, as well most all dictionaries are not very commonly
... See more
No one has ever questioned, that Vista works.
As should also be assumed, SDL Trados 2007 will work with Vista. The same is for Office, where in fact all versions starting from 97 shall work (according to the information I could find in some computer magazine). But Some older programs will not work. For example Corel Draw older than 9, Nero older than 6 and so on. Because Pagemaker, Framemaker or QuarkXPress are not commonly used program, as well most all dictionaries are not very commonly used, there still the question remaining, if the software I need for my job will work.
So I would be grateful for more information. Which programs do work with Vista? Have you by any chance tested some older dictionaries? Corel Draw? Wordperfect? Designer? Pagemaker? Framemaker? Abby Finereader - these are only some to start with...

Jerzy
Collapse

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Don't forget MemoQ Jul 12, 2007

MemoQ is another option that hasn't been mentioned. It's certainly the easiest tool to learn that I've seen so far and it runs with Vista. A 2-month trial version is available and there is also a free "light" version. Could be worth a look before you decide.

http://www.kilgray.com/kilgray/companies/memoq

Also see th
... See more
MemoQ is another option that hasn't been mentioned. It's certainly the easiest tool to learn that I've seen so far and it runs with Vista. A 2-month trial version is available and there is also a free "light" version. Could be worth a look before you decide.

http://www.kilgray.com/kilgray/companies/memoq

Also see the following Proz article:
http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/1198/1/A-Memory-that-Never-Forgets

Regards,
David Turner
Collapse

Martin Fernandez Cufre
Martin Fernandez Cufre  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dual boot Jul 21, 2007

Hi, I'm in a similar situation, I was looking to see if there had been any experiences with successful uses of any version of Trados with Office 2007 in Vista.

As a possible solution, please remember that you can have both Windows XP and Windows Vista installed in the same computer and you can use either when you need it. Just remember to FIRST install XP and THEN Vista (Vista changes the boot process in a particular way; if you do it the other way around you won't get the boot menu
... See more
Hi, I'm in a similar situation, I was looking to see if there had been any experiences with successful uses of any version of Trados with Office 2007 in Vista.

As a possible solution, please remember that you can have both Windows XP and Windows Vista installed in the same computer and you can use either when you need it. Just remember to FIRST install XP and THEN Vista (Vista changes the boot process in a particular way; if you do it the other way around you won't get the boot menu for choosing the OS to boot; if you do this don't panic, just get VistaBootPRO at www.vistabootpro.org, it's free, then use the "Reinstall Vista Bootloader option"). I have a new powerful computer (2GB RAM, Dual Core CPU, etc) and I have both XP and Vista now, my idea is to progressively get established in Vista, but I still have XP installed with Office 2003 and Trados for the traditional work process.

So, just to make it clear, has any of you used successfully Trados (any version, please specify) with Office 2007 in Vista???

Thanks!!
Collapse

Daniela Ciafardoni
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am going to.. Jul 21, 2007

I am just going to download the trial version and see how it goes before I buy it.
If it works well then I'll definitely go for it, I'll keep you posted!
Daniela

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I buy Trados 2007?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »