Mobile menu

Pretranslate function not found in TW (Trados)
Thread poster: Ulozas
Ulozas
Luxembourg
Local time: 16:19
Lithuanian to Latvian
+ ...
Jul 12, 2007

Dear All,

I'm new in Translator's Workbench, though quite "old" in DejaVu. As I have to use TW at work, I try to transfer the best practices I had as a freelancer on DejaVu. So, what I miss and haven't found (yet, hopefully) is a pretranslation function. I need to select two words in the source and two in the translation and make them be pretranslated even if they are inside a segment and no usable match is found in the old database. What should I do? Is that possible?

Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

Annelise Meyer  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
pre-translating in Trados Jul 12, 2007

Hi,
I am not sure I understand right, but here is the process to pre-translate a file in TWB: open the TM, then go to Tools\Translate. Once there, browse to select the file to pre-translate and click Translate. You can check the box "Segment unknown sentences" so the whole file is pre-translated (I found it is useful to pre-translate a file, even when there is no match: it can help avoid opening issues later on...). There you are! Hope it helps (and answers your initial query...)
Cheers

Ulozas
Luxembourg
Lithuanian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
pre-translating in Trados (inside of the segments!) Jul 12, 2007

Bonjour, Annelise,

First, thank you for showing the function, it is really helpful What my problem is, that I need "pretranslation" inside of the segments. As an example, "thanks for your call" could me translated almost automatically (like in DejaVu) if i previously have a translation of [thanks] [for your] [call] or [thanks][for your call]. It would access the lexicon and take those phrases what were there input and then compose a sentence, provided there's no exact or fuzzy match. It's like taking words from a dictionary, the only thing that you may compose it and choose the right one. So I'm still looking for an answer.

A bientot!

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
This function does not exist in Trados Jul 12, 2007

AFAIK it is an unique function of DejaVu.

Jerzy

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 18:19
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Autoassemble function Jul 12, 2007

If you ask the autoassemble function, it is not available in Trados.
Trados changes placeables only, e.g. numbers (provided that they are in the segment).

Another point to remember, in Trados before you perform (pre-)Translate function, which is under Translator's Workbench>Tools>Translate, first you should close the original document (the file which you will translate), then select update document option under the Translate window, and then open the original document.

The procedure for Analyse function is the same, first close the document.

HTH

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 18:19
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
no lexicon as well Jul 12, 2007

Ričardas Ulozas wrote:

Bonjour, Annelise,

First, thank you for showing the function, it is really helpful What my problem is, that I need "pretranslation" inside of the segments. As an example, "thanks for your call" could me translated almost automatically (like in DejaVu) if i previously have a translation of [thanks] [for your] [call] or [thanks][for your call]. It would access the lexicon and take those phrases what were there input and then compose a sentence, provided there's no exact or fuzzy match. It's like taking words from a dictionary, the only thing that you may compose it and choose the right one. So I'm still looking for an answer.

A bientot!

In Trados, at least in the Freelance Version, there is no lexicon apart from Multiterm (which is similar to Terminology Database in Deja Vu). You can select Termbase under Translator's WB > Options> Term Recognition Option and check Term Recognition under Settings (Run Terminology Recognition in the background)

You can open only one Translation Memory and one Reference (Read Only) TM. But as far as I know Reference TM displays results only if the Main TM has no results. (Am I right Jerzy?)

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Nearly Jul 12, 2007

The concordance search (the reference TM) may also be used when a match is found, however this process has to be started manually (in all Trados versions).

A lexikon per se does not exist also in all Trados versions AFAIK.
There is although the PerfectMatch function, which uses your pretranslations to create a pretranslated file - this makes sense, when you have a reviewed pretranslation in billingual files. Then using context Trados is able to reproduce the translation in a way a human being would have done. This allows you to fasten your translation process on repetitive documents or to integrate small changes in big reviewed documents for example. However this function is only available in the so called "Professional" version of Trados.

Jerzy

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:19
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I think there is that function Jul 13, 2007

But you need to use multiterm.
If you have the entered the translation of certain words, such as: [thanks] [for your] [call] > [gracias] [por su] [llamada] at multiterm.

I think you should do the following (having selected the required termbase first)

TOOLS > TRANSLATE > REPLACE TERM

Description of REPLACE (as given by Trados user manual):

Replace means that Translator's Workbench replaces known terms with their translations from the MultiTerm database. If multiple translations are present, the first available translation is used. Translated terms are formatted in a special character style called tw4winTerm (default paragraph font + blue colour) to help you identify more easily what terms could be translated. If you choose to replace known terms, we highly recommend that you also activate the Segment Unknown Sentences option. This ensures that translated terms are only inserted into the target segment — source segments are left as they are as hidden text.

Ulozas
Luxembourg
Lithuanian to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
multiterm? Jul 13, 2007

Thanks, it could be the solution, though I can't test it as it is not available in the environment (yet?)

If it is not an off-topic (or off-thread, to be precise), is there a way to make the *.mtw file without multiterm? Or maybe I could use an alligned doc. for that?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pretranslate function not found in TW (Trados)

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs