Mobile menu

Working with InDesign CS3 and Trados?
Thread poster: TSim
TSim
Local time: 11:26
English to Danish
Jul 13, 2007

Hello

We have received three .indd files made with Adobe InDesign CS3 - the brand new version. I have exported one as .inx and it opens fine in TagEditor... We have had the file translated by a freelancer, but I cannot export the resulting ttx-file back into InDesign format

I _have_ read the postings about CS2 Trados and I have tried to follow the recommended procedures, but alas to no avail...

Help?!?

Thomas.

Direct link Reply with quote

Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
ttx back to inx Jul 13, 2007

Hi Thomas,
What does happen when you clean the ttx file or save as target from Tag Editor? Do you get an inx file?
Or does the problem appear when you try to open the inx file in InDesign or save it as indd?
Do you get error messages at any point?

Marie-Céline

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
InDesign CS3 is not supported at the current stage Jul 13, 2007

You need to save inx in CS2-format and process it as you previoulsy processed CS2.

Best
Jerzy

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
my turnaround in a similar case Jul 13, 2007

Hi Thomas

I had a similar experience with inx files (CS2, but the same might apply here), where I had converted the inx files to ttx and these were then sent to a translator. When I received them back, I was unable to convert the ttx files back to inx, although a test run with "my" ttx files (created by me, then edited on my system, and saved back as inx) worked fine and gave me no problem.

I checked the 2 ttx files (the one I had generated and the one received after translation) opening them in NotePad, and noticed they had a different "frontmatter" section near the beginning of the file, due to the use of a different Trados version. I copied the file "frontmatter" section (from initial to closing "frontmatter" tag) from my ttx file and pasted it over the translated file's frontmatter section, replacing it.

DISCLAIMER:
I don't think this is a "supported" thing to do, and playing around with file headers is never a good idea... but it solved my problem and I was then able to clean up the ttx files, convert them back to inx and open them in ID. If you will try this, make sure you work on copies of all files, not on the originals.

Hope this helps,
Roberta

TSim
English to Danish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you... Jul 13, 2007

I will try the "unofficial" procedure (at my own risk

... and wait for an upgrade / a filter / som easy way of handling CS3-files in the future.

Thank you all once again,

Thomas.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Good idea Jul 13, 2007

I remember a workaround similar to the one posted by Roberta for MIF files created in FrameMaker 6 (which were not supported by Trados at the time). All you had to do was change the version number in the header to 5.5 and voila - it worked.

So that's a good suggestion - I'll keep it in mind.

B

[Edited at 2007-07-13 18:41]

Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Similar experience?! Oct 18, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

You need to save inx in CS2-format and process it as you previoulsy processed CS2.

Best
Jerzy

Hi Jerzy and all,

I wanted to bump this post, because INX files from CS3 keep giving us problems here.
We received the INX from the client, and re-saved it in CS2 just to be sure.
A colleague translated the INX in TE, but got an error message when cleaning it: "the file is to big".

But the problem was that the file isn't exceptionally big at all, we've handled much bigger CS2 INX files before.

So there must be something else inside the INX that isn't compatible.

We sent it to the Trados support, which suggested deleting items on the "mounting area" outside the actual document. We also deleted the image layers (with placeholders) in InDesign, and re-saved it in CS2 again.

After fuzzy-translating the manipulated INX, we could finally clean it!

Any other similar experiences?!

/Jan

probicon
English to German
+ ...
Cumulative hotfix for InDesign CS2/CS3 filter Dec 11, 2008

Hi,

there is a cumulative hotfix for CS2/CS3 files in SDL Trados 2007 SP2:
http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2n/kb/article.aspx?aid=1893&n=7&s=1

The two files to be changed in your system you can download here:
http://talisma.sdl.com/utility/getfile.aspx?rid=239

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
INX issues again Dec 11, 2008

TSim wrote:

We have received three .indd files made with Adobe InDesign CS3 - the brand new version.

Hi Thomas, the brand new version is CS4 which has been out for quite a few weeks. Just for info...
As for your problem, you may want to try the following workaround:

1) Export your TM to TMX format
2) Download and install MemoQ or Across
3) Open your INX file with MemoQ or Across
4) Import your TMX translation memory into MemoQ or Across
5) Have your INX file translated using the translation memory you imported
6) Export your translation.

This has always worked for me, or more precisely, for poorly prepaired INX files which cause particular problems to Trados.

GOOD LUCK!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with InDesign CS3 and Trados?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs