Mobile menu

Strange formatting when using Trados 6.5 with Word
Thread poster: Wei Peng Loy
Wei Peng Loy  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:14
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jul 15, 2007

I encountered a problem with using Trados 6.5 on Word documents. My OS is Windows XP and Word version is Word 2003. My client sent me a job to translate a Chinese Word file to English. I was supposed to use his TM during translation.

Initially all went well. The next day when I continued with where I finished, I found that everytime I start a new translation unit (TU), the formatting of the source text (ST) will automatically change to italic bold, and the target text (TT) will change to bold. If I ignore it, this formatting will be saved when I close the TU. Then when I open the TU again, the same problem appears. Changing the formatting doesn't help because everytime I open the TU, the same problem appears.

Later on, I discovered this problem spread to my other files as well. I finished this Chinese job and went on to my other job, this time a Japanese to English job. The same problem happened when I open a new TU and the fonts and formatting changed. It's very irritating because I need to keep to a certain style and formatting when I do the Japanese job.

I tried to uninstall and install Word and Trados to see if the problem could go away. But it still didn't. I also tried copying a "clean" from another computer but it didn't help.

Have any of you encountered this problem before? How can I stop the irritating "auto formatting" from occurring? Thanks.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange formatting when using Trados 6.5 with Word

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs