Mobile menu

No. of languages supported in Trados (urgent query!)
Thread poster: xxxLia Fail
xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 16, 2007

I have Trados version 6.0.0.309.

I seem to remember that when I first installed it I was limited to 3 languages.

Is that correct? That Trados restricts one to 3 languages max?

I need to know quickly becuase I've been asked to do a job in a 4th language, and I think I will need to do it in Wordfast.

TIA:-)

Direct link Reply with quote

Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:01
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Five languages Jul 16, 2007

Look:
http://www.xlsoft.com/en/products/sdl/language.html
Current Language Support
TRADOS 6 & 6.5 work with virtually any language combination that is also supported by Microsoft Windows. This includes Eastern European, Asian and bi-directional languages such as Arabic or Hebrew.
Note: With TRADOS 6 & 6.5 Freelance you have to choose up to five languages from the choices below.

Perhaps the first time you installed it, you chose just 3 languages. So far as I know, if you install Trados with X number of languages, you must uninstall it and re-install with the new language selection - no possibility to add more languages "already installed".

[Edited at 2007-07-16 11:39]

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for rapid reply:-) Jul 16, 2007

Fabio Descalzi Sgarbi wrote:

Look:
http://www.xlsoft.com/en/products/sdl/language.html
Current Language Support
TRADOS 6 & 6.5 work with virtually any language combination that is also supported by Microsoft Windows. This includes Eastern European, Asian and bi-directional languages such as Arabic or Hebrew.
Note: With TRADOS 6 & 6.5 Freelance you have to choose up to five languages from the choices below.

Perhaps the first time you installed it, you chose just 3 languages. So far as I know, if you install Trados with X number of languages, you must uninstall it and re-install with the new language selection - no possibility to add more languages "already installed".

[Edited at 2007-07-16 11:39]

Thanks Fabio

Yes, it's 5 languages, BUT I could only enter 3, as my 4th (Galician) wasn't included in the list of possible languages.

Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 08:01
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Apparently not supported Jul 16, 2007

Hi Lia,

I looked at the latest version of TRADOS, and here are the languages supported:
http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdltrados2007/languagessupported/
As you can see, not even the newest version is supporting Galician (although it supports Basque and Catalan...)
One humble suggestion:
Galician has no need for special diacritics, the ñ and accentuated vowels are enough.
So, one possible way to work: just choose "another" language. Looking at your profile, you should need the following:
· Spanish
· English
· Catalan
· Portuguese
· Galician
What about choosing "another" language instead of Galician? Say, Faeroese or Tagalog...
Perhaps there is another solution available... but at least, you could try this way.

Elenka Ganeva  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:01
Member (2007)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Five langiages, definitely! Jul 16, 2007

Absolutelu sure!
As far as remember, you can add a languafe additionally.
Luck and a smile to you!

Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again:-) Jul 16, 2007

Fabio Descalzi Sgarbi wrote:

Hi Lia,

I looked at the latest version of TRADOS, and here are the languages supported:
http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdltrados2007/languagessupported/
As you can see, not even the newest version is supporting Galician (although it supports Basque and Catalan...)
One humble suggestion:
Galician has no need for special diacritics, the ñ and accentuated vowels are enough.
So, one possible way to work: just choose "another" language. Looking at your profile, you should need the following:
· Spanish
· English
· Catalan
· Portuguese
· Galician
What about choosing "another" language instead of Galician? Say, Faeroese or Tagalog...
Perhaps there is another solution available... but at least, you could try this way.

I very rarely do Galician, so Wordfast is fine for the moment, although your suggestion is a good one for the future:-)

Deschant
Local time: 12:01
Reply Jul 23, 2007

I think I'm a bit late here, but I can confirm that Galician is not supported by Trados, at least in its version 6.5.
Best thing would be as Flavio said, choosing another language as though it was Galician.
I wonder why Galician is not supported whereas Basque and Catalan are though...

Best,
Eva

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No. of languages supported in Trados (urgent query!)

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs