Thread poster: Alexandra Timmis

Alexandra Timmis
Germany
Local time: 23:14
English to German
+ ...
Jul 17, 2007

Hi all!

A few years ago I translated a document, without Trados. Now the same customer has come back and wants me to translate the revised version of the same document. I am hoping there is a simple way to include the old translation into workbench. It is a fairly large document and includes all sorts of formatting (normal text, text boxes, bullet points, figures, tables etc.).

Any ideas very much appreciated.
Alex

Translator's Workbench/SDLX, Version 7.x Freelance
MS Word 2002

PS: I have looked for the answer within the forum, but couldn't find anything. I am fairly certain that this is a "common issue" and apologies for starting up a new thread even though there might be some older ones.

Direct link Reply with quote

Ulrich Roos
German
Use clean-up with the old bilingual file Jul 17, 2007

Hi Alex,

this workflow only works if you kept the bilingual file from the previous translation.
In this case you take the bilingual file and use clean-up with the option "Update TM" to load the previous translations into your TM.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Ulrich

Denis HAY  Identity Verified
English to French
Winalign Jul 17, 2007

Hi Alexandra,

You should simply align your documents using Winalign (bundled with your Trados edition).

Kind regards,
Denis Hay

Alexandra Timmis
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's the one! Jul 17, 2007

Thank you so much Denis!

I knew there was a way of doing it, but I just couldn't remember how! Now I can actually search the forum properly and get some useful tips.

Thanks again
Alex

Alexandra Timmis
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
clean-up Jul 17, 2007

Hi Ulrich,
I haven't got a bilingual file as I didn't use Trados back then. It would be the easiest option, I agree, but unfortunately not the solution.
Thanks,
Alex

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing a previous translation into Trados Workbench

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs