https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/78863-dropped_source_characters_in_trados_70.html

Dropped source characters in Trados 7.0
Thread poster: CELC Inc
CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Local time: 21:27
Japanese to English
+ ...
Jul 17, 2007

WinXP Pro (Japanese)
Trados 7.0.0.615

I am localizing a website from Japanese to English.

In a number of segments, source characters are dropped by TagEditor. I have verified that the characters in question are in the original HTML, but in a few (apparently random) cases TagEditor seems to be excluding one or two characters from the source.

What's most perplexing is that the main (but not only) culprits are in the ALT text for the common menus on e
... See more
WinXP Pro (Japanese)
Trados 7.0.0.615

I am localizing a website from Japanese to English.

In a number of segments, source characters are dropped by TagEditor. I have verified that the characters in question are in the original HTML, but in a few (apparently random) cases TagEditor seems to be excluding one or two characters from the source.

What's most perplexing is that the main (but not only) culprits are in the ALT text for the common menus on every page (clearly a template or cut-and-paste operation), but the same characters are not excluded every time...

Does anyone know:
a) what the hell is going on?
b) how to fix it?
c) a workaround?

I was wondering whether I should edit the HTML to check for encoding problems, etc. Of course, since I don't get paid for that kind of work, it's not a particularly appealing solution.

Any help would be most appreciated.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-07-17 16:57]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-07-17 20:09]
Collapse

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dropped source characters in Trados 7.0 - ANY LANGUAGE Jul 17, 2007

I see that my title has been changed to restrict this topic to Japanese. That was never my intent, though on reflection I can see how the Monitor might have misconstrued it as such.

Here's what I mean. I don't have any way of knowing whether the problem is limited to Japanese or not. Given that, I'd rather not put "JAPANESE" in the title, as this makes the topic seem less relevant to the overwhelming majority of Proz users. I'd rather have more help than less...

Tha
... See more
I see that my title has been changed to restrict this topic to Japanese. That was never my intent, though on reflection I can see how the Monitor might have misconstrued it as such.

Here's what I mean. I don't have any way of knowing whether the problem is limited to Japanese or not. Given that, I'd rather not put "JAPANESE" in the title, as this makes the topic seem less relevant to the overwhelming majority of Proz users. I'd rather have more help than less...

Thanks for your understanding.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:27
English to German
+ ...
Removed the reference to Japanese Jul 17, 2007

Hi "CELC Inc"
(Sorry - I would prefer to address you by name, but you chose not to sign your postings.)

Sorry about the misunderstanding - I have removed the reference to Japanese. (Note that you can edit the title, too.)

Best regards,
Ralf

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 14:27
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
a shot in a dark... Jul 17, 2007

Could it be field elements? Like "page" or "author" etc? This kind of creatures (Tag Edcitor or No TagEditor) are tough to handle.

CELC Inc
CELC Inc
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Field elements are not the problem Jul 17, 2007

Vito,

Thanks for the guess. Unfortunately, it's mostly ALT text for images that are giving me trouble. But even regular paragraph text is dropping characters in places.

Ralf,

I didn't think about changing the title myself. Maybe I should get some sleep...

Thanks to both of you,
Nathan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dropped source characters in Trados 7.0

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »