Mobile menu

Problem with numbered lists / tabs in Word using Trados
Thread poster: Susanne Lomander

Susanne Lomander  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:28
Swedish to English
+ ...
Jul 19, 2007

I have been problems with formatting using Trados and lists in Word. For example, whenever I translate text that has a bullet list or a numbered list, Trados changes the tab settings for those lists, sometimes for all segments and sometimes just for some of the bullets or numbers.

The change in formatting occurs when I open a TU in which the source has a bullet/numbered list. Trados then changes the tab stops, margins or hanging inserts of the list, replacing it with some other formatting.

Sometimes it also changes de size of the number in the number list, which is something I cannot access to change (and don't even know how Trados does this?).

This is very frustrating, because it means that most of my documents must either be manually formatted before, during or after Trados.

I tried contacting SDL but got a vague response about the original not using styles, and that it was the author's fault and my tough luck, practically, unless I chose to work in TagEditor instead

Is this an incompatibility with Word or is it just a setting in either Word or Trados that I can change? I suspect that it has to do with the format styles configured in MY WORD version overriding the originals in the document, but how can I reverse this, if that is the case?

Any and all input much much much appreciated! =)

Direct link Reply with quote

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:28
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Common problem Jul 20, 2007

If youi search the archives, you will find plenty of similar problems, and the reason is the one that SDL gave you -- your customer has not used styles properly, but has instead used manual formatting.

You may wonder why SDL only pay attention to style, and not to the manual formatting. The reason is that it would be extremely complex programming, and would therefore slow down Trados -- all because your customer has not bothered to use styles.

In this situation, it may be worth your while to impose some of Word's default styles (Headings and Normal text etc). Explain to your customer that not using styles makes life difficult for you.

Or else take SDL's other advice - use TagEditor.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with numbered lists / tabs in Word using Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs