Thread poster: woodstar

woodstar  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:18
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jul 19, 2007

Hi, I get an error in TagEditor 8 when I try to open a Doc 2003 or earlier file:
Error when using plug-in file filters:
Error in plug-in filter definition file C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\SDL International\Filters\Word_1_0_0_0.xml:
The C++ Plug-In DLL TradosWordBinaryFile.dll does not export a valid factory function CreateWordFileScanner

Does anyone know what this error is?

I tried to convert to Word 2007 and open that one instead, but then got a more comprehensive error saying Track Changes was on. I went back to the original document and can see some edit marks in the margin, but Track Changes itself is off. Could this be a clue? Is there something else close related that I could also turn off?

Thanks for any help on this.

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Accept all changes Jul 19, 2007

You need to either accept or reject the changes before you can work on this document in Trados. Since there's probably a reason for the changes being in there, you might want to accept them all.

HTH,
Benjamin

woodstar  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Accept changes doesn't help Jul 19, 2007

Sorry, maybe I should have mentioned that: accepting changes doesn't help. Since the Track Changes option is not activated there is also nothing to accept. I did turn it on, accepted all, turned it off. Didn't help.

Now I am thinking this document is probably locked, because I tried to edit it outside of Trados, directly in Word, and got some strange Lock message. I don't know how doc files can be locked without any question for password? It is possible to view and print...

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Might be a known problem Jul 19, 2007

I had a similar problem a while ago (accepting changes wouldn't rid me of the error message) and found a way to tell Trados to ignore the supposedly unaccepted changes, involvin modification of the xml settings file for the Word filter. It's in the SDL knowledge base somewhere (search sdl.custhelp.com for track changes).

Good luck!

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
OpenOffice.org Writer unlocks Jul 20, 2007

I usually manage to unlock locked/protected Word documents with OpenOffice.org Writer.

I open the DOC in Writer, remove the write protection and save again as DOC. Then I open it again in Word and re-save, because DOC files saved directly by Writer cannot open in TagEditor.

Strange that they want us to produce a translation that looks like the original and often send us write-protected documents...

HTH

Piotr

Thomas Zeisler  Identity Verified
Italy
English to German
+ ...
No Word_1_0_0_0.xml file Sep 27, 2007

tectranslate wrote:

I had a similar problem a while ago (accepting changes wouldn't rid me of the error message) and found a way to tell Trados to ignore the supposedly unaccepted changes, involvin modification of the xml settings file for the Word filter. It's in the SDL knowledge base somewhere (search sdl.custhelp.com for track changes).

Good luck!

The SDL help link probably solves the problem... but... I can't find the Word_1_0_0_0.xml file nowhere on my system. Could somebody please help me? I use Trados 8.0.0.820. Please don't suggest to update, I tried and had problems with my system so I went back to my 820.

Thanks, Thomas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tageditor Doc file error: Error when using plug-in file filters

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs