Bilingual Word files
Thread poster: Brigitte Hamilton
Brigitte Hamilton
Brigitte Hamilton  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:22
German to English
Jul 20, 2007

I translated a doc document in Word (with translator's bench running). Now that the translation is finished, I would like to save it as a uni-lingual doc file (ie. show target language only) - how do I do this? I seem to be able to do this when translating in SDLX (with the preview option), but not when doing it in Word, it keeps showing both languages.

Thanks!

Odile C Delos
Odile C Delos  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:22
Italian to French
+ ...
clean-up Jul 20, 2007

Brigitte Hamilton wrote:

I translated a doc document in Word (with translator's bench running). Now that the translation is finished, I would like to save it as a uni-lingual doc file (ie. show target language only) - how do I do this? I seem to be able to do this when translating in SDLX (with the preview option), but not when doing it in Word, it keeps showing both languages.

Thanks!

Dear Brigitte,

Make a copy of your word translated doc and call it clean. then do a clean-up operation from workbench / tools/ clean up. The system will generate a target only file. the "clean" file as well as a file with .bak extension, which is a back-up copy of your bilingual file and can be deleted if you are satisifed with your clean text. If you want to see the target language only before clean up operation, then go to word Tools/options/formatting/and untick the Hidden text box. This is good only for preview.
I hope this is clear.
regards
Odile

Brigitte Hamilton
Brigitte Hamilton  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Odile! Jul 20, 2007

Odile C Delos wrote:

Brigitte Hamilton wrote:

Thanks!

Dear Brigitte,

Make a copy of your word translated doc and call it clean. then do a clean-up operation from workbench / tools/ clean up. The system will generate a target only file. the "clean" file as well as a file with .bak extension, which is a back-up copy of your bilingual file and can be deleted if you are satisifed with your clean text. If you want to see the target language only before clean up operation, then go to word Tools/options/formatting/and untick the Hidden text box. This is good only for preview.
I hope this is clear.
regards
Odile

Sima Sharifi
Sima Sharifi  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
SDLTrados and .BAK files Jul 20, 2007

[quote]Odile C Delos wrote:
a file with .bak extension, which is a back-up copy of your bilingual file

With my SDLTrandos, my .BAK file contains only the source language but I would like to have a bilingual file. Do you know how can I keep a bilingual file after the clean-up operation?

Thanks,
Sima

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bilingual Word files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »