Mobile menu

WinAlign - what aspects does the alignment process take into account?
Thread poster: Lutz Molderings

Lutz Molderings  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:23
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2007

Hello

I would like to know whether WinAlign takes both sentence length correlation and lexical anchoring into account, or only one of these two methods. Thank you.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-07-21 05:51]

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 06:23
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Normal segmentation Jul 21, 2007

Winalign segments the texts according to normal Trados procedure. So if the target text combines two segments (e.g. sentence) into one or splits one sentence into two, Winalign will lose count and you'll have to manually edit the result.

Thats only my experience, I'm no expert.

Why do you ask?
Regards
Heinrich

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
You can fine-tune the alignment process Jul 21, 2007

Hi Lutz,
WinAlign provides several options to adapt the algorithm to your requirements (specifically, to the nature and structure of the files to be aligned.

You can edit the default segmentation rules (in line with the process you can use for TMs). When aligning Word files, you can incorporate structure recognition (using paragraphs with a specific formatting - usually headers, but not necessarily - as 'anchor points'). Finally, you can raise or lower the importance of general formatting, tags, and numbers.

HTH - Ralf

Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sentence length? Jul 21, 2007

Thank you both of you.
So I take it sentence length is not taken into account at all?

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Lutz,
WinAlign provides several options to adapt the algorithm to your requirements (specifically, to the nature and structure of the files to be aligned.

You can edit the default segmentation rules (in line with the process you can use for TMs). When aligning Word files, you can incorporate structure recognition (using paragraphs with a specific formatting - usually headers, but not necessarily - as 'anchor points'). Finally, you can raise or lower the importance of general formatting, tags, and numbers.

HTH - Ralf

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Sentence *segmentation* Jul 22, 2007

Hi again,
Lutz Molderings wrote:

Thank you both of you.
So I take it sentence length is not taken into account at all?

It is, but not as a parameter - the end of a segment is determined by certain 'stop characters' (as defined in the segmentation rules) - a full stop being one of them. The default rules also comprise a colon, which is why you may well get segments which are shorter than a sentence.

Does that answer your question?

Best, Ralf

Germany
Member (2007)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jul 25, 2007

Yes ,that answers my question, thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WinAlign - what aspects does the alignment process take into account?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs