Thread poster: Andrew Levine

Andrew Levine  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:05
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
Jul 21, 2007

This seems like it should be a simple question to answer for someone more experienced with this software than I am.

I have been using SDLX 2007 for a month. Let's say that there is a source-text word ("caractèristiques") which appears many, many times in many different documents that I am translating using SDLX as part of a project, and every time it appears I want to use the exact same target text term to translate it ("characteristics").

Having determined the English term I want to use, is there a way to make it so that, instead of having to type "characteristics" in the target text field every time the word "caractèristiques" shows up, the software can do this automatically? Or else insert the entire word "characteristics" with just one or two keystrokes? Can I do this for phrases, too, and not just single words? Is using the "multiterm" feature involved in some way?

I've tried searching in the forum for answers, but without knowing exactly how what the process I'm trying to describe would be called, I haven't been able to find it.

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2007-07-21 20:34]

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:05
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
TermBase Jul 21, 2007

You need to use TermBase:

- Open the SDLX switchboard.
- Click TermBase and create a new termbase. Close TermBase.
- Open your file in SDL Edit. Click TermBase - Open and open the new termbase. Add your terms to the termbase using Ctrl+F11. Then you will be able to put the translated terms into segments using shorcuts (see Help for details).

Termbases can be used for both single words and phrases.

Andrew Levine  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:05
Member (2007)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 21, 2007

Thank you for the answer, Hynek! I have implemented your solution and after some initial trouble I got it working fine.

[Edited at 2007-07-21 23:33]

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:05
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Different solution Jul 22, 2007

I use Search/Replace - the advantage:
Match whole word only/Match case.
For German and French with different forms of a word it is very useful.

And the term base in SDLX is not the best of the program

Geneviève

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatically translating an oft-repeated word in SDLX

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs