How to unprotect tags in SDLX 2007
Thread poster: Ivaylo Ivanov

Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Jul 23, 2007

Greetings to all,

I need help in the following situation:

The English source goes like this: system is ...

My language requires different word order: e.g. System is...

As you can see the the product name can vary and therefore is given by a placable dedined in a tag.

I translate the manual in SDLX 2007 and the tags are protected and cannot be selected, moved, etc.

Can someone tell me how to "unprotect" the tags in SDLX in order to move them around in the sentence?

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Claudia Digel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:59
English to German
+ ...
Use Format Painting Jul 23, 2007

Hi ivaylo,

The English source goes like this: system is ...

My language requires different word order: e.g. System is...

You need to Format Paint the words within tags. Just type the text the way you want it to be, i.e. in the correct word order. Afterwards you need to click on the brush icon in the toolbar. Highlight the word within tags in the source segment and then the corresponding word in the target segment. Depending on your settings you might need to press Enter to move the tags. (You can change this under Tools > Options > Format Paint > Press Enter to confirm format paste.)

I personally prefer not to display tags but Format Painting colors because that's easier on my eyes. (To do so go to View > Tags > Colours (Standard volour formatting)).

HTH

Regards,
Claudia

MikeTrans
Germany
Local time: 06:59
Member (2005)
Italian to German
+ ...
Segmentation rules Jul 23, 2007

Use the segmentation rules within SDLX.
Before importing your doc go to:

Import specific project file > ... > Segmentation rules.
Click the tab under Segmentation rules
Create a new rule with a specific name
Go into target language and edit the "default" entry.

Here you can cause/prevent certain expressions to be segmented or not. This is very helpful if you don't want to deal with acronyms or non-translatable / repetitive expressions. You can also exclude special formatting coming up over and over again.
The consequence: the autopropagation will handle this segmented expressions automatically without influencing the fuzzy search result of TM.
Consult your SDLX-documentation for handling "regular expressions or special characters in the segmentation rules.

Give it a try!

Mike

Ivaylo Ivanov  Identity Verified
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem resolved Jul 23, 2007

Thank you all for the suggested help!

Claudia'a solution is what I needed. Thank you very much, Claudia!

Claudia Digel wrote:

You need to Format Paint the words within tags. Just type the text the way you want it to be, i.e. in the correct word order. Afterwards you need to click on the brush icon in the toolbar. Highlight the word within tags in the source segment and then the corresponding word in the target segment. Depending on your settings you might need to press Enter to move the tags. (You can change this under Tools > Options > Format Paint > Press Enter to confirm format paste.)

I personally prefer not to display tags but Format Painting colors because that's easier on my eyes. (To do so go to View > Tags > Colours (Standard volour formatting)).

HTH

Regards,
Claudia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to unprotect tags in SDLX 2007

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs