Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:28
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 23, 2007

Hello there

I usually work with Trados 7 on a desktop computer (Windows XP) and need to prepare a presentation for a client for tomorrow. I want to show the progress I have made so far in the termbase.

Now I will have to save the termbase on my notebook (Vista).

My first problem is, I have named my Termbase (upon creation) lets say "Hellothere" and open it normally in Multiterm (you all know that little window opening with all available termbases). The path for my termbases is always the same (I put them in the same folder). In this folder I only have files like "mxw_1.mdb" "mxw_2.mdb" etc...

My first thought was: Save the file "mxw24.mdb" to my notebook and open with Multiterm. Nothing happens... So I thought I might open an older version of the termbase which I have on my laptop and import the entries though an xml file.

After that I now have nearly all entries as duplicates in my termbase on my notebook!

I created a new import definition indicating that existent entries should be orverwritten by the import entries. But I still get those duplications (about 200 or more) which I don't want to delete one after the other manually!

I believe there must be a solution to my problem! How can I open termbases in Multiterm on another computer?

Do I have to use the import/export function? Or is there a possibility of simply OPENING a file in Multiterm?

Can you tell me where the real Termbases are saved?

Am I blind?

Thanks a million for your help! (I can't believe I am the only one not able to work this out...:-( )

PS. Can this be a problem with Vista on my notebook, what do you think?

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
There's Load TermBase entry Jul 23, 2007

in MutiTerm - I guess that's what you need: you can specify in Vista where your TermBase is to be found.

Regards

Vito

Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 14:28
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
.mdb, .xdt, .ldb Jul 24, 2007

Hi Leena,
You should be able to copy your original termbase straight from your XP pc to your Vista notebook. But you need to copy all of the files.
When you create a termbase, MultiTerm creates the .mdb file but it also creates an .xdt and .ldb file to go with it. You need them all. If you can't see those in your termbase folder do a Search for the file extension.
Just copy all three files to your Vista termbase folder.
Then, as Vito says, Load your termbase.

Regarding the multiple entries, I have yet to find a way of filtering them out. They can really make multi language termbases quite unwieldy! In the past I've been filtering them out using a macro in excel, but it's not very efficient.
Anyone have any good ideas?
HTH
Owen

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
the double entries are killing me too... Jul 24, 2007

smo

Leena vom Hofe  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to you two! Jul 24, 2007

I didn't know about those .xdt files. I have found them in another folder.

I will try loading the termbase with these. Shall I put them all in one folder for the loading?

Thanks for your help!

I guess this problem with duplicates is Trados specific...

Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 14:28
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
All together Jul 25, 2007

Hi Leena,
Yes, I think it's best to keep all of the files together. Like you I save my termbases to one folder in D:\ But I create a new folder with in _termbases for each new glossary. Then when creating the termbase I make sure that anything and everything that MT prompts me to save gets dumped in that folder.
I'm not sure why your .xdt files are being saved elsewhere. But once you have all the files together and you point MT at them when loading, there shouldn't be a problem.
Good luck!
Owen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

duplicate entries and how to open MT termbases

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs