Only 5 languages in Trados?
Thread poster: KatjaV
KatjaV  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:52
French to Finnish
+ ...
Jul 25, 2007

I have to translate a text from Norwegian with Trados and I just noticed that I don't have Norwegian among those five languages that I can choose when installing Trados. Does this mean that the only solution is to install Trados again and choose Norwegian among those five possible languages? Is it really so that only five languages can be selected at time?

Direct link Reply with quote

Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 09:52
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Jul 25, 2007

Hi Katerina,
Indeed, Trados for freelancers allows for just 5 languages at a time.
If you need to work with another lang, you should de-install and re-install Trados to achieve it.

Finland
French to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados 7 Freelance Jul 25, 2007

Yes, indeed this is the version I have. I think it's very unpractical that it allows use only five languages. But thank you for a swift response!

Linda Ferwerda  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
Member (2002)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Professional Jul 25, 2007

katerina100 wrote:

Yes, indeed this is the version I have. I think it's very unpractical that it allows use only five languages. But thank you for a swift response!

You must be a language miracle, working in so many language pairs!!!! Great!

I think that you need the Professional edition if you work with more than 5 language pairs.

Mark Cole  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:52
Polish to English
+ ...
Create a new memory under a different language Jul 25, 2007

I was also surprised when Trados only let me have 5 languages, so I created my "Dutch" memory under "German". I've done similar for my Slavonic languages, putting them under "Russian" when I ran out of options. The only difference I've noticed is that the wrong flag comes up in the Trados window. There may be also differences with how Trados treats figures, dates, and that kind of thing, but so far I've had no problems.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-07-25 16:40]

Finland
French to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is one option Jul 25, 2007

[I was also surprised when Trados only let me have 5 languages, so I created my "Dutch" memory under "German". I've done similar for my Slavonic languages, putting them under "Russian" when I ran out of options. The only difference I've noticed is that the wrong flag comes up in the Trados window. There may be also differences with how Trados treats figures, dates, and that kind of thing, but so far I've had no problems.]

I did this once but I think it created some problems for the client when I delivered the job with a wrong language pair. But when the TM is only for my own use, maybe it doesn't matter then? Thanks for the comment!

Uruguay
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Regarding "cross-languages" Jul 25, 2007

Hi Katerina,
You are right - if you are the only one to use the TM, then there should be no problem regarding the client.
The problem arises when the client sends you his own TM Norwegian>Dutch and you have neither Norwegian nor Dutch... then, it's sensible to uninstall TRADOS and re-install it with the right languages to use. I had to do that more than once: although my usual languages are (in order of importance): Spanish, German, English and Portuguese (and from time to time Italian), I did have to edit works done in French, Dutch, Swedish, Vietnamese, Indonesian, with TMs sent by the client... so you can guess!

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:52
English to French
+ ...
Wow, that's a lot of languages! Jul 25, 2007

Hey, Fabio, maybe you should apply for pope the next time the position is open! Kidding aside, how do you do that?! If at least your languages were in the same language family - but they're not! Amazing!

Uruguay
Member (2004)
German to Spanish
+ ...
About other languages Jul 25, 2007

Hi Viktoria,

Actually: what I had to do was WinAlign of several languages (derived from a huge German>Spanish project) - the client just liked my organized way to work, and here I am: "editing" (NOT translating) in "other" languages. That's all!
Not that you start a topic thread with my candidacy... just kidding!

In any case: just an example that there ARE clients who ask for "almost anything" !

And that's not all: I know a fellow Uruguayan ProZian who cannot speak but Spanish, English and Portuguese... never ever read French or other languages... and he had to edit texts in French, Arabic, Chinese and Vietnamese! DTP + HTML... you name it!

OK, this is starting to get a bit off-topic...

Good luck with your polyglot-TRADOS!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Only 5 languages in Trados?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs