Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:43
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Jul 26, 2007

Dear colleagues,

I am translating a Word document from English (US) into German. I am using Word 2002 on WinXP (SP2), Translator's Workbench is up and running fine (7.5.0.759). I've created a new Multiterm (7.1.0.361) termbase. I've done the "select termbase" steps in Word and in TWB. Language settings seem to be ok. The problem is that TWB does not recognise terms at all. If I try and enter a new term in Word ("add entry") with the correct language settings, then re-open the segment, TWB offers the translated segment, but does not recognise the term entry just created.

What am I doing wrong?

Tia,
Kind regards,
Erik

Edit: I do not get any error messages at all, neither in Word, nor in TWB. It's just that no term is recognised.

[Bearbeitet am 2007-07-26 11:40]

Direct link Reply with quote

Katalin Sandor  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
run in backgound? Jul 26, 2007

From your description, it seems that it's automatic term recognition that is not working (does 'manual' term recognition work, BTW? when you highlight a term in Word and click on the search term button on the MT toolbar?). Do you have the 'run term recognition in the background' box checked (options-term recognition options - settings)?

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tried both ways, manuel recogition works Jul 26, 2007

Dear Katalin,

Thank you for you quick response. Yes, manual term recognition works, the target term is shown in the MultiTerm hit list window.
I've tried both settings (background recognition checked and unchecked) -- to no avail.

Any other ideas?

Kind regards,
Erik

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Joining the troupe Jul 26, 2007

, TWB offers the translated segment, but does not recognise the term entry just created.

Ive had exactly this kind of a problem last 4 (!four!) weeks. It must go pretty deep, because I have turned a number of stones, without any success.

Looking forward to some strange ideas and suggestions...

Regards

Vito

Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 04:43
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Reference (read-only) translation memory Jul 27, 2007

Hello All,
I also have this problem. I've found a way of getting MultiTerm to work slightly better (remind me again why we pay so much for MT...?!) by using Workbench:
After checking your Terminology Recognition Options as Katalin says, go to:
Options -> Translation Memory Options -> Concordance
Then from "Reference (read-only) translation memory" click Browse and point at the TM you are currently working on (don't worry if it's not read only, doesn't seem to matter).

This is quite a cludgy fix, and I should stress that it doesn't always work! It seems to work for me when translating JP to EN, but when localizing other languages it's very hit and miss.
I have contacted SDL but have yet to even receive a response...

If anyone has any other solutions I would love to hear them, it's driving me mad.
All the best,
Owen

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
How I got out of this tunnel Aug 4, 2007

Heres my symptoms again: on a system with TWB 7.5.256 and Multiterm 7, with correct Term Definition options and the same old TermBase, the Term recognition window at some ignored, unremembered moment in TWB turned blank and stayed black too - i.e. did not provide any glossary support for my texts.

Some old hint by Ralf was "goldrichtig": reorganize the TermBase / Terrmbases:

i) they must have fuzzy index established to work properly. If it is gone, they cant be of any help - anywhere, i.e. in TWB in the MutiTerm icon bar etc.

ii) reorganizing the Termbase reconstructs back the missing / corrupted / whatever fuzzy index.

It is after I lost the services of MultiTerm that I realized how useful, no, essential this service is.

[Edited at 2007-08-04 17:41]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No term recognition - Multiterm 7

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs