Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Local time: 04:16
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
Jul 26, 2007

Dear All

I am starting to get a bit nervous. I am working on a series of rather complicated Word files, with lot of text boxes, pics, text and links.

I translated a whole file with SDLX but when I tried to Create translation, the application kept being busy with the task (I left it running for about one hour, without touching any key), but got to no result at all. It's stuck. I had to close the application and restart the computer.

What shall I do know?
... See more
Dear All

I am starting to get a bit nervous. I am working on a series of rather complicated Word files, with lot of text boxes, pics, text and links.

I translated a whole file with SDLX but when I tried to Create translation, the application kept being busy with the task (I left it running for about one hour, without touching any key), but got to no result at all. It's stuck. I had to close the application and restart the computer.

What shall I do know?

Thanks for your help,

sabina
Collapse

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:16
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
How did you create the ITD? Jul 26, 2007

Hi Sabina,

how did you create the ITD? Using the project wizard from the SDLX dashboard or simply by right-clicking on the Word file and then choosing "Translate with SDLX"?

Although, both should work fine in theory, I find that the quick option (ie. the right-click on the source file) often causes problems when the files are particularly large or complex - resulting in exactly what you are describing, the application just dies.

If you created your itd this
... See more
Hi Sabina,

how did you create the ITD? Using the project wizard from the SDLX dashboard or simply by right-clicking on the Word file and then choosing "Translate with SDLX"?

Although, both should work fine in theory, I find that the quick option (ie. the right-click on the source file) often causes problems when the files are particularly large or complex - resulting in exactly what you are describing, the application just dies.

If you created your itd this way, try the other option - ie. using the project wizard to create project files etc. If you then translate the ITD* and convert it back (again using the project wizard) it should - hopefully - work fine.

Does this work?

[Edited at 2007-07-26 12:55]
Collapse

Sabina Moscatelli
Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did use the wizard Jul 26, 2007

What do you mean when you say "convert it back"?

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:16
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Project Wizard may be more reliable than "Create Translation" Jul 26, 2007

When I said "convert it back", I meant creating the translated Word document from the ITD.

Instead of using the option "Create Translation", try the longer way using the "Project Wizard" - ie. just like when you created the ITDs. After opening the Wizard select "Export files from an existing project" and let the wizard guide you through the process.

I can't promise that it works, but very often that's more reliable (and more stable) than selecting "Create Translation".

Sabina Moscatelli
Sabina Moscatelli
Italy
Member (2004)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot for your suggestion but Jul 27, 2007

no. It doesn't work.

I think I have no chance but re-translate with Trados, re-typing all the text boxes one by one... it will take a whole day.

I need a shoulder to cry on.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX doesn't create translation

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »