Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:00
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Jul 27, 2007

After translating a group of inx-files in TE (Trados 2006) I encounter an error when saving the target. This concerns only one file, unfortunately the bulk of the text is in this file.

I ran the TM on a fresh file, but to no avail. I could copy the text from TE to a new Word-file and save it as rtf after cleaning up, but I don't know how to save this file so that it can be used in Indesign.
Is there anyone with Indesign that could help me to solve this problem?
My custom
... See more
After translating a group of inx-files in TE (Trados 2006) I encounter an error when saving the target. This concerns only one file, unfortunately the bulk of the text is in this file.

I ran the TM on a fresh file, but to no avail. I could copy the text from TE to a new Word-file and save it as rtf after cleaning up, but I don't know how to save this file so that it can be used in Indesign.
Is there anyone with Indesign that could help me to solve this problem?
My customer could not solve the problem so far either.
SDLX cannot handle inx-files, how about Transit? Is it possible to convert the ttx to Transit format and get the translation from there?

Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2007-07-27 06:00]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:00
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What kind of Tag is reported? Jul 27, 2007

When you find which Tag is causing the problem, you could delete it in the file.
But first check, if the non-translated file does save as target.
If no, there is a problem with the inx file itself...

Jerzy

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Use the QA checker Jul 27, 2007

Hi Heinrich,
INX is an XML-based format - hence the zero tolerance vis-à-vis tagging errors. "Unexpected tag" would indicate that an opening tag is missing: as a result, the closing tag is "unexpected".

Have you run the built-in QA checker for tags? TagEditor shows you where exactly the error occurred.

HTH, Ralf

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I looked at the location Jul 27, 2007

But there is nothing wrong with it. There is a initial tag cf and a final tag /cf. Looks exactly the same as in the untranslated file.
Sorry SDLX does not inx.
Regards
Heinrich

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Does the untranslated inx save as target? Jul 27, 2007

If not, than the problem is inx itself.
A case for the support then, I would say.
Without having the files I cannot say anything more.

Best
Jerzy

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There is no possibility to save the original as target Jul 27, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

If not, than the problem is inx itself.
A case for the support then, I would say.
Without having the files I cannot say anything more.

Best
Jerzy

The entry is light grey, so I cannot save the inx-file (there is nothing translated).
The customer will compile the translation from my html-export (SDLX). She translated the same file into English and had no problems.

I still wonder if the ttx could be cleaned up somewhere else, Wordfast did it of course but I believe Indesign will not except the file when saved from Word.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Just send me the files in question Jul 27, 2007

all together the original INX, your translated TTX and TM-Export.
My email is info at doku minus trans dot de.

Best
Jerzy

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Someone with DejaVu? Jul 27, 2007

DejaVu handles INX much better than Trados. I had to ask my colleague to convert the files for me in order to get it working...

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all that tried to help Jul 28, 2007

Especially Jerzy and Selcuk!
I tricked TE in such a manner, that I let it translate to fuzzy until the previous segment, where the error occured (I changed the source segment so that Trados stopped). Then I saved the file as Target without a glitch.
The segment where the error was signalled lies rather at the end of the file, so my customer will have to edit the inx-file in Indesign only a bit.
But its obvious, that there is no error in the initial file nor in the first 4/5 of
... See more
Especially Jerzy and Selcuk!
I tricked TE in such a manner, that I let it translate to fuzzy until the previous segment, where the error occured (I changed the source segment so that Trados stopped). Then I saved the file as Target without a glitch.
The segment where the error was signalled lies rather at the end of the file, so my customer will have to edit the inx-file in Indesign only a bit.
But its obvious, that there is no error in the initial file nor in the first 4/5 of the translated file. I guess Trados encounters an error within its own stacks when the file is too long.
At least TE throws an Java error message whenever I go further in the file by overwriting the source segments and save to Target.

I wonder if it is possible to edit the inx-file in a text-editor. I looked at one file, the text-part is quite at the end of the file and it would be easy to overwrite or copy and past into it.
But would Indesign except such a file, when the lenght of the strings has changed?

Cheers
Heinrich
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
You did the best you could do Jul 28, 2007

In fact I would do the same with you file, would I be able to apply your TM properly.
Usually InDesign should accept the file after you modify it in Tageditor (or even Notepad), as long the tag structure ist 100% identical. Shortly another colleague has had a similar problem, where a file translated, saved and closed before reaching the end of the file couldn't be reopened due to a missing tag. After opening the file in Notepad we were able to restore the original tag structure and the fil
... See more
In fact I would do the same with you file, would I be able to apply your TM properly.
Usually InDesign should accept the file after you modify it in Tageditor (or even Notepad), as long the tag structure ist 100% identical. Shortly another colleague has had a similar problem, where a file translated, saved and closed before reaching the end of the file couldn't be reopened due to a missing tag. After opening the file in Notepad we were able to restore the original tag structure and the file opened again. What you could do now would be translating your file two or three sentences further and than comparing the tag structure using Notepad - because only there the tags are not interpreted, but shown exactly as they appear in the file.
But your other assumption, that the problem is the file size, is also very probable - when trying to operate on your file I've got a message, that my system was not able to process the file because it is big! (I have SDL Trados 2007 and a machine with 4 GB RAM, so there cannot be memory issues on the machine itself)

Best regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
file size Jul 29, 2007

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

But your other assumption, that the problem is the file size, is also very probable - when trying to operate on your file I've got a message, that my system was not able to process the file because it is big! (I have SDL Trados 2007 and a machine with 4 GB RAM, so there cannot be memory issues on the machine itself)

I don't think the problem was related to file size as well. Although I have only 2 GB RAM when I get the same warning concerning the file size, I closed and reopened TagEditor and this time it didn't give the same warning but another one related to modified or deleted tags.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

INX in Tageditor: unexpected tag

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »