SST
SST  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 11:05
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Jul 28, 2007

Hi all,

I haven't had any problems with my English>Ukrainian (Cyrillic) Trados translations in a number of files and then, all of a sudden, my target text started looking funny, e.g. Ìåðåæåâèé ðåæèì.

I've dome my forum search and found this post:
http://www.proz.com/topic/43681.
I've tried to apply the solution related to fonts in Cyrillic to no avail.<
... See more
Hi all,

I haven't had any problems with my English>Ukrainian (Cyrillic) Trados translations in a number of files and then, all of a sudden, my target text started looking funny, e.g. Ìåðåæåâèé ðåæèì.

I've dome my forum search and found this post:
http://www.proz.com/topic/43681.
I've tried to apply the solution related to fonts in Cyrillic to no avail.

My English (source) text is written in Times New Roman.
When I export my TM memory and open it in Notepad, I can see some fonts have "fcharset0" value, e.g.
{\f1 \fmodern\fprq1 \fcharset0 Courier New;}
{\f2 \fswiss\fprq2 \fcharset0 Arial;}

There's a number of lines for Times New Roman:
{\f8 \froman\fprq2 \fcharset238 Times New Roman CE;}
{\f9 \froman\fprq2 \fcharset161 Times New Roman Greek;}
{\f10 \froman\fprq2 \fcharset162 Times New Roman Tur;}
{\f11 \froman\fprq2 \fcharset177 Times New Roman (Hebrew);}
{\f12 \froman\fprq2 \fcharset178 Times New Roman (Arabic);}
{\f13 \froman\fprq2 \fcharset186 Times New Roman Baltic;}
{\f14 \froman\fprq2 \fcharset163 Times New Roman (Vietnamese);}

I can't see the line dedicated to Cyrillic - as you suggested below, Cyrillic should be fcharset204, right?
Is this the problem then?

At the same time, if I create my own English text in Times New Roman, my target text in Ukrainian looks just fine!

Could it be the client's corrupt source text? If I copy-paste all the source text into the new file, it doesn't solve the problem.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Collapse

Christine Biloré
Christine Biloré  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:35
English to French
+ ...
Tag Editor Jul 28, 2007

Hi Tanya,

I translate from russian into french and when I open a unit, the russian (so source language for me) gets corrupted the same way as what you see on your computer.

This happens with Trados 7 under vista (+word 2003) but it is still ok under windows XP.

So I decided to use Tag Editor (I think this was suggested somewhere on the russian forum) and it works fine with it, maybe you should try too.

Chris

Vladimir Romanov
Vladimir Romanov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:35
English to Russian
+ ...
some propositions Jul 28, 2007

Здравствуйте, Таня!

Надеюсь, мое сообщение кириллицей нормально отразится в Вашем браузере, и его не постигнет участь Вашего перевода.

Уточните, пожалуйста, в чем состоит проблема: в том, что Вы уже сделали перевод определенного фрагмента, и читаемый текст вне
... See more
Здравствуйте, Таня!

Надеюсь, мое сообщение кириллицей нормально отразится в Вашем браузере, и его не постигнет участь Вашего перевода.

Уточните, пожалуйста, в чем состоит проблема: в том, что Вы уже сделали перевод определенного фрагмента, и читаемый текст внезапно превратился в "кракозяблы" (вследствие чего пропали результаты работы), или в том, что по мере набора кириллического текста он сразу же выглядит нечитаемым (и Вы просто не можете работать)?

В первом случае я бы предложил восстановить выполненный перевод следующим образом: попробуйте установить соответствие между кракозяблами и обычными символами. Например: Ì -> А, ð -> ю и т.д. и для каждого кракозябельного символа сделайте автозамену (с учетом регистра). Придется повозиться минут 40 (или меньше), - и плоды трудов праведных будут восстановлены.

Во втором случае попробуйте скопировать текст из предоставленных заказчиком файлов не непосредственно из одного (вордовского???) документа в другой, а через блокнот (notepad): сначала из исходного файла в блокнот, а потом - из блокнота в конечный файл.

Удачи!
В.
Collapse

Elena Aleksandrova
Elena Aleksandrova  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Member (2009)
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Workbench Jul 28, 2007

Dear Tanya,

I have the some problem when I translate into Bulgarian. The trick I use:

Go to Workbench>File>Setup>Fonts; "Target defaut font" - Arial Cyr ( you have to install it on the computer). It always works for me.

Good luck

SST
SST  Identity Verified
Australia
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Working on it Jul 29, 2007

Vladimir Romanov wrote:
Во втором случае попробуйте скопировать текст из предоставленных заказчиком файлов не непосредственно из одного (вордовского???) документа в другой, а через блокнот (notepad): сначала из исходного файла в блокнот, а потом - из блокнота в конечный файл.

Уважаемый Владимир!

Спасибо за предложения!
Я сама нормально набираю мой кирилличный текст без проблем.
"Крякозяблы" получаются в момент перехода к переводу следующего фрагмента (Set/Close Next Open/Get в Trados).

Если скопировать файл из Word в Notepad, потом обратно в новый Word-документ - тогда проблем нет, перевод в Trados получается нормальный. Только ведь тогда теряется форматирование текста, и нужно его восстанавливать вручную. А если текст страниц на 100?

Похоже, что проблема именно с этим файлом заказчика. В шрифте я выставила Times New Roman (CTRL+A - выделила весь текст, поменяла шрифт), а у самого заказчика была Helvetica.

Подскажите, пожалуйста, каким образом я могу установить соответствие между кракозяблами и обычными символами? Где это сделать?

Спасибо!

SST
SST  Identity Verified
Australia
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 29, 2007

Christine Biloré wrote:
This happens with Trados 7 under vista (+word 2003) but it is still ok under windows XP.
So I decided to use Tag Editor (I think this was suggested somewhere on the russian forum) and it works fine with it, maybe you should try too.

Dear Christine,
Thank you very much for your suggestion!
It definitely works in the TagEditor!
The file I've had trouble with causes me no troubles in that program.

The only note is that I use Windows XP (not Vista), so it means your advice applies to XP users as well.

Many thanks,
Tanya

SST
SST  Identity Verified
Australia
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 29, 2007

Elena Aleksandrova wrote:
I have the some problem when I translate into Bulgarian. The trick I use:
Go to Workbench>File>Setup>Fonts; "Target defaut font" - Arial Cyr ( you have to install it on the computer). It always works for me.

Dear Elena,
I'll try it after installing Arial Cyr (as you can see from my previous post, I might consider translating this file in TagEditor instead).

But if I continue 'tinkering' with the file in the Workbench today, I'll try to install Arial Cyr, as suggested.

Many thanks!
Tanya

Natalia K
Natalia K
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Try to change the registry Jul 29, 2007

Dear Tanya,

Try to change a value of the Windows registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage\1252 to c_1251.nls and reboot. Usually it helps.

SST
SST  Identity Verified
Australia
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great! Now I can use Workbench as well Jul 29, 2007

Natalia K wrote:
Try to change a value of the Windows registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\CodePage\1252 to c_1251.nls and reboot. Usually it helps.

Dear Natalia,

I did exactly what you suggested and...hurrah, it worked!
I can now translate my file either in TagEditor (as advised by Christine in this post) or in Workbench.

Can you please tell me what I actually did in the registry? What was causing the trouble? Is it my machine, my Windows settings or the client's file?

Thank you!

[Edited at 2007-07-30 01:22]

Natalia K
Natalia K
Russian Federation
English to Russian
It is not the client's file. Jul 29, 2007

Dear Tanya,

It is not the client's file. It is a problem with cyrillic encodings in some applications (including Trados).

Good luck!

Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corrupt Cyrillic output (target text)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »