Bernadette Mora
Bernadette Mora  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 30, 2007

Hello all

My version of Trados is 6.5, Windows XP OS. I am translating a huge document of around 56,000 words of which 55,000 are reps. Although I am using the "Translate to fuzzy" option, it takes ages to scroll down through pages. After 4 hours, I only have a 30% of the document translated. Is there a faster way to translated fuzzy matches? Thanks!
Bernadette

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Are you being paid for the time? Jul 30, 2007

Moving from one TU to the next never goes particularly fast, even if it is happening automatically. At this rate it will take you 13.5 hours. Are you being paid sufficient for 13.5 hours? I hope so. If not, you will know better what to charge next time.

Astrid

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:08
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Split the document into smaller parts Jul 30, 2007

If the source file is in RTF, its volume must be about 100 pages or even more. Split it into smaller - say, 50 page -parts and process them one by one. With the initial huge file, a large part of your RAM is consumed by the file itself, leaving less space for Trados to operate. This will greatly reduce the time of processing.

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Are you translating in "Print layout"? Jul 30, 2007

Go to View > Normal.

I Print layout Word has to re-paginate the entire document with EACH segment. This takes really hours.
In normal view, a document witch 56 k words should take not longer than some 15 - 20 minutes.

Good luck

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Use "Export frequent segments" from the Analyse menu Jul 30, 2007

Quote from Trados help file:
Export Frequent Segments (Analysis dialog box)
Use this option to create a text file consisting of all segments that occur more than a specific number of times in your source texts and that are not contained in the translation memory used for the analysis. Specify the minimum number of times a segment should occur in the Or More Occurrences box. The default is 5.

It is very important that the translation of frequently used segments be consistent. It is therefore useful to know all frequent segments and pre-translate them before actually translating the documents themselves. Translator's Workbench can export these segments in various formats, depending on how they are to be processed. The following formats are supported:

Translator's Workbench native text formathlp_TextFormatSpecification>(w95sec). ExampleExample_of_Frequently_Used_Phrase_TU>(w95sec)

Systran RTF - for machine translation with Systran®

Logos SGM - for machine translation with Logos™. Segment-internal formatting such as bold on/off is not supported in this format. However, SGML/HTML/XML and Workbench RTF-style tags (formatted using the reserved styles tw4winInternal and tw4winExternal) are supported.

Translation Memory Exchange (TMX) Level 2 format. Segment-internal formatting is supported in TMX Level 2 format.

Word RTF - suitable for interactive, rather than machine, translation. Segments are exported as a Word document and all segment-internal formatting is supported.

Using Translator's Workbench, you can translate these segments and add them to your translation memory before actually starting to translate the analysed documents. This speeds up the translation process and ensures that frequent segments are translated in a consistent manner.

Set the occurences number to 2.
Now translate the exported file.
After you are ready, use the "Translate" function in Workbench to translate your file.
Then open the file again, but now instead of using "CTRL+HOME" start the translation with "CTRL+ALT+HOME". This will open the FIRST NOT 100% match in the document. Translate it. Do not press "CTRL+NUM*" or "CTRL+NUM+", but press "CTR+ALT+NUM+" instead. Trados will then close the current segment and open the next not 100%, skipping everything what is translated in between.

Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Huh?!... Jul 30, 2007

huge document of around 56,000 words of which 55,000 are reps.

you mean to say you translate all this BY HAND!?

A quick remedy:
i) stop right now
ii) save the file and
iii) pretranslate it

.... then fix the remaining 1000 segments - following for instance the Jerzys suggestion to extract left over untranslated segments for a separate translation. I use PlusToys to create myself a word table for these segments ... etc (*)

Regards

Vito

*: have to make a Camtasia movie out of this story. Will call it "for a pocketful of segments" - do you hear Don Giovanni in the background? And the mouth harmonica blowing? yeah, thats the mindset...

[Edited at 2007-07-30 18:53]

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:08
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
With OmegaT, it's no problem Jul 31, 2007

it definitely won't take ages to proceed from one unique segment to another, because, unlike Trados Workbench, OmegaT keeps in memory only unique segments.

Sorry for offtopic

[Редактировалось 2007-07-31 14:35]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Translate to fuzzy" option in a 55,000-reps document

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »