Mobile menu

General conflict between Trados and Word
Thread poster: Péter Szilágyi
Péter Szilágyi
Local time: 22:29
English to Hungarian
Jul 31, 2007

I worked for a while with Trados Freelance 5.5 without trouble (Windows XP Pro, Office XP 2000).
I had to reinstall the OP, put on an Office 2003 Pro, and then Trados was not able to find Word under user, only under admin (I didn't care, I worked in admin).
Recently, I tried a 6.5 demo, that first time worked under user profile (however, the template first had to be set manually), but when started next time, the Word was able to open only in reduced functionality mode (and it always tries to start a setup process, that I have to kick off)!
In the same time, Word itself is normally operating under adminstrator, the Trados toolbar is on (despite, Trados shall be set each time manually), but if trying to enter into a segment, 'Trados workbench is not running' message pops up.

Solutions I tried recently:
- Uninstalled 6.5 demo, and reinstalled 5.5.
- Uninstalled Office 2003, and installed Office XP 2000.
- Disabled the real time virus scan of Trados library.
- Decreased the security level for macros.
- Tried both Office with both Trados in all combinations (always newly installing the applications), but the result is the same in each combination:
- Both Word under user is running in reduced functionality (even if Trados is uninstalled!),
- Both Word with both version of Trados produces the same error message under Administrator.

(In the meanwhile, I tried both Trados version on a laptop, and they are working correctly.)

I've read all the relevant threads, but no one seems to address my particular problem.

Is there any idea for a solution, without 'format C:\' ?

[Edited at 2007-07-31 09:04]

Direct link Reply with quote

Martin Wenzel
English to German
+ ...
Trados 5.5 and Office 2003 are not compatible Jul 31, 2007

I am surprised you say that these programs work on your laptop.

So these are the options in my opinion: upgrade to the latest Trados version and profit from their summer offer: It is only 380 Euros...

Switch to another CAT that's cheaper but Trados-compatible and avoid this constant upgrade pressure Trados puts on their customers...

I have switched to Metatexis (only 130 Euros, all future upgrades free) , but every Cat tool has its pros and cons...

I like certain features with Metatexis and certain features with Trados and decide each time in advance which CAT tool I'll use...

Péter Szilágyi
English to Hungarian
Upgrading? compatibility? Jul 31, 2007

- Do you think, after two versions are not working, I should invest in a third one? First the problem of breakig down Word should be solved, which is - highly probable - caused by Trados.
- Probably, the incompatibility of Office 2003 and Trados 5.5 is partial only, since, as I mentioned, after re-installing my PC (and then putting on Office 2003), Trados 5.5 and Word did work together under administrator (but not under user), and the total crash occured after trying Trados 6.5.
(On the laptop, Office XP 2000 is working.
And now, my PC shows these problems also with Office XP 2000.)

[Edited at 2007-07-31 09:43]

[Edited at 2007-07-31 09:49]

[Edited at 2007-07-31 09:50]

Jakub Bragiel
German to Polish
+ ...
Reinstall Windows ;) Jul 31, 2007

I'm affraid you will have to reinstall the operating system. It's just Windows... There are now too many informations and data in the registry, too many libraries etc.

I worked with Trados 6.5 on Office 2003, then SDL Trados 2006, now SDL Trados 2007 and it works correctly all the time.

David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Have a look at alternatives Aug 3, 2007

Péter Szilágyi wrote:
- Do you think, after two versions are not working, I should invest in a third one?

I would say no. There are plenty of good, low-cost alternatives to Trados: Mexatexis, as already mentioned, Wordfast (no Word compatibility problems there), or a newer, very good one, MemoQ (produced by your compatriots Kilgray).

David Turner

Péter Szilágyi
English to Hungarian
Other alternatives Aug 3, 2007

Thanks for the tips, but, I'm afraid, I cannot avoid reinstalling my PC.

[Edited at 2007-08-03 12:01]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

General conflict between Trados and Word

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs