SDL Trados, hard copy / Webinars
Thread poster: ace2912
ace2912
ace2912  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:45
German to English
Jul 31, 2007

I recently bought SDL Trados through a Proz.Com promotion. I downloaded the software to my laptop.
I'd really rather have a hard copy of the programme for security, in case my laptop is stolen or crashes. I've emailed Trados support and am waiting for an answer (& waiting, & waiting...)
In the meantime, has any one else done the same as me? Surely it is not only available as a download. Surely one can get a hard copy of the programme?
Also, has anyone taken part in the Webinars
... See more
I recently bought SDL Trados through a Proz.Com promotion. I downloaded the software to my laptop.
I'd really rather have a hard copy of the programme for security, in case my laptop is stolen or crashes. I've emailed Trados support and am waiting for an answer (& waiting, & waiting...)
In the meantime, has any one else done the same as me? Surely it is not only available as a download. Surely one can get a hard copy of the programme?
Also, has anyone taken part in the Webinars offered by Trados? Are they any good? Does any one know how long the offer of a free Webinar included in the promotion package is valid?
Sorry for all the questions, but you may guess that the support people at Trados have not been very efficient at answering my emails.
I'd be grateful for any suggestions,
Antonia East
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:45
German to English
Burn a CD or DVD Jul 31, 2007

I don't recall the size of the last release, so I don't know whether it will fit on a single CD.

1. You could burn the zipped file to a CD or a DVD. If you don't have a DVD burner, unzip the downloaded file into a directory, and burn the component files to a series of CDs. For example, you could put the documentation files on a separate CD.

2. If you need to reinstall the program, you could copy the contents of the CDs to a single separate directory (folder) and insta
... See more
I don't recall the size of the last release, so I don't know whether it will fit on a single CD.

1. You could burn the zipped file to a CD or a DVD. If you don't have a DVD burner, unzip the downloaded file into a directory, and burn the component files to a series of CDs. For example, you could put the documentation files on a separate CD.

2. If you need to reinstall the program, you could copy the contents of the CDs to a single separate directory (folder) and install from there.

3. This latter part is what you do anyway when you unzip and install.

[Edited at 2007-07-31 22:16]
Collapse

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
English to Italian
Hard copy SDL Trados Aug 1, 2007

Hello,
I am from SDL Trados Technologies.

You will always be able to always download the software from the customer centre.
Of course you can burn a CD of the main downloaded files - SDL Trados Installation and SDL MultiTerm installation for future use.
You can also purchase the CDs if you like and the instruction ma
... See more
Hello,
I am from SDL Trados Technologies.

You will always be able to always download the software from the customer centre.
Of course you can burn a CD of the main downloaded files - SDL Trados Installation and SDL MultiTerm installation for future use.
You can also purchase the CDs if you like and the instruction manuals. Please follow this link
http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdltrados2007/materialpack/

I hope this helps.

Regards
Massimo[

quote]Kevin Fulton wrote:

2. If you need to reinstall the program, you could copy the contents of the CDs to a single separate directory (folder) and install from there.

3. This latter part is what you do anyway when you unzip and install.

[Edited at 2007-07-31 22:16] [/quote]
Collapse

ace2912
ace2912  Identity Verified
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
SDL Trados backup - still a little confused Aug 2, 2007

Hello,
thank you Kevin & Massimo for your replies but I'm still a little confused as to why I paid several hundred pounds for SDL Trados 2007, but I can buy the software for $60 via the link you sent. I'm sure it is a very logical answer but I'm just missing it. Is the full programme on those cds? Can I install the programme using those cds on a second machine? ie: desktop at home & laptop for travelling?
If I burn a cd of the main downloaded files on my pc, will I have a complete,
... See more
Hello,
thank you Kevin & Massimo for your replies but I'm still a little confused as to why I paid several hundred pounds for SDL Trados 2007, but I can buy the software for $60 via the link you sent. I'm sure it is a very logical answer but I'm just missing it. Is the full programme on those cds? Can I install the programme using those cds on a second machine? ie: desktop at home & laptop for travelling?
If I burn a cd of the main downloaded files on my pc, will I have a complete, installable programme on cd? As you may guess I'm a keyboard user & not technically minded at all! I'm just worried about security & not havng something tangible on the shelf as a backup if something goes wrong.
many thanks,
Antonia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados, hard copy / Webinars

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »