Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Problem of converting tag Editor file!! VERY URGENT!!!
Thread poster: Eloïse Notet

Eloïse Notet  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:22
Member (2005)
German to French
+ ...
Aug 1, 2007

hello everybody,

I juste finished a doc. text that I translated with Tag editor. I tried to convert the file in the original doc. format.. But i receive the message: error while riting breaks. I cannot convert the file hich i habve to give back asap..

I tried to creatd another TM, another text etc..I receive every time this message..

Please, could you help me?

I did not find ethe solution in the help. (Trados 7.0)

Thanks in advance!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:22
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
What did you do exactly? Aug 1, 2007

Did you try Save the target as... function?
Regards
Heinrich

jrs_kiev
English to Russian
+ ...
don't worry Aug 1, 2007

Enotet wrote:

hello everybody,

I juste finished a doc. text that I translated with Tag editor. I tried to convert the file in the original doc. format.. But i receive the message: error while riting breaks. I cannot convert the file hich i habve to give back asap..

I tried to creatd another TM, another text etc..I receive every time this message..

Please, could you help me?

I did not find ethe solution in the help. (Trados 7.0)

Thanks in advance!!

Just retranslate Doc in word using current TM

France
Member (2005)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi heinrich! Aug 1, 2007

yes, I tried to convert my bilingual file (saved as such prviously) with ths funtion, as I commonly do. .. Do you have an idea of this error??

mustafa karabiber  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:22
English to Turkish
+ ...
Orijinal doc file Aug 1, 2007

As I understand, you already converted tag editor file (.ttx) from a .doc file before start to translate. You can try the same TM on the original file with fuzzy function.
Also when reconverting to doc from TTX, please put the original file and ttx file in the same folder before try to convert. And press the preview button at the bottom of tag editor.

[Değişiklik saati 2007-08-01 08:29]

[Değişiklik saati 2007-08-01 08:30]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Typical error, well documented Aug 1, 2007

I would suppose even here somwhere in the forum, but you can find the description how to handle your error on support.sdl.com - enter "Error while writing breaks" into the search field.

In general your original document contains section, page or column breaks, which are not preceeded by a paragraph mark. By default in Word a break of such kind MUST be preceeded by a paragraph mark.
If you open your original document and search consequently for section, page and column break you will find some, whre a paragraph mark before is missing. Insert it then. If you don't want to retranslate the whole document, open your ttx in parallel, search for the same place, where paragraph mark is missing, and then copy a paragraph mark tag somwhere and insert it at the required place. This should work, if you insert it exactly at the same place where you also inserted it into your original document. After you went through the whole Word file save it! Then save also your ttx and try again. Now it should work (if you inserted paragraph tags in ttx). Otherwise you will need to recreate the ttx from the new doc you created and retranslate it using your TM (use the Translate function from Tools menu).

Jerzy

Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 07:22
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Insert paragraph marks? Aug 1, 2007

Hi Enotet,
This seems to be quite a common problem in Trados, basically because it does not like any section, page, or column breaks that come straight after the end of a piece of text.
Try inserting a paragraph mark just before any section, page, or column breaks (just hit your Enter key).
If you have a very large document this may be impractical. Also, make sure you have installed the latest patches from SDL. I think they have been working towards a fix for this problem...not 100% sure though.
Good luck!
Owen

France
Member (2005)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi jrs-Kiev Aug 1, 2007

I already created a new TM (if TM corrupted) and a new file with the fuzzy function..
I Mustafa, I will try your solution.. but the problem is that the file contains a lotof graphics that are not included in trados (in Word) but only i Tag Editor..It means that I will have to do the translatio "manually"...

Both docs (original and ttx) are in the same folder...

Thanks for your advices..

Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 07:22
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Sorry Jerzy Aug 1, 2007

Enotet, listen to Jerzy, that's a much better explanation than mine! But I was on the right track

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I would clean up in Wordfast Aug 1, 2007

You can translate the file in Word using the Trados TM in Workbench and clean up using Wordfast. It never fails.
Cheers
Heinrich

France
Member (2005)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
heinrich.. Aug 1, 2007

I do not have wordfast..grrr!!

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I doubt very much if cleanup in Wordfast will be the right way Aug 1, 2007

But simply search&replace for section break, page break and column break and replace them by temselves, preceeded by a paragraph mark. You can do this in your original Word file and replace lliterally all breaks by themselves, preceeded by a paragraph mark. Then recreate the ttx from THIS NEW file, use Translate function from Trados on it, save as doc, and in the new produced doc replace all breaks, preceeded by a paragraüh mark with only the break itself. This way you will have a document with exactly the same structure.

This error is the most documented error on converting ttx to doc - because it exists since Tageditor can read Word.
Please look also at http://support.sdl.com for further refrences.

Jerzy

Karen Picolin  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:22
Member (2005)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Verify function Aug 1, 2007

Hi,

Normally when I have such issues in Tageditor I use the function "Verify"

In tools>options > Verify > Plugin properties, you can make the correct adjustments. Then in Tools, run Verify. If there are any specific problems with the file, it will normally show the issue. so that you can fix it.

Hope that helps.

Karen

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Will not help against missing paragraph marks Aug 1, 2007

Karen Picolin wrote:

Hi,

Normally when I have such issues in Tageditor I use the function "Verify"

In tools>options > Verify > Plugin properties, you can make the correct adjustments. Then in Tools, run Verify. If there are any specific problems with the file, it will normally show the issue. so that you can fix it.

Hope that helps.

Karen

That's fine, but not here - the verfiier will find nothing, unless the Tag structure has been changed. Missing paragraph mark in ORIGINAL document is not a Tag error. This error is not caused by Tageditor or by the user, but comes solely from the original file.
There is no other fix for "error while writing breaks" as the procedure described above.
Just believe me - or if you don't trust me, check at SDL Support page and get convinced.

Jerzy

Karen Picolin  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:22
Member (2005)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Sure, I believe you :-) Aug 1, 2007

[quote]Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Karen Picolin wrote:

Hi,

Just believe me - or if you don't trust me, check at SDL Support page and get convinced.

Jerzy

Hi Jerzy,

Sure I believe you.

I have not had that specific trouble, but the verify function has helped a great deal with many issues in Tag Editor.
Thought that might help.

Have a nice day!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem of converting tag Editor file!! VERY URGENT!!!

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs