https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/80234-why_are_not_all_terms_in_multiterm_termbases_recognised_by_translators_workbench.html

Why are not all terms in Multiterm termbases recognised by Translator's Workbench?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:20
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 1, 2007

I have been adding to my Multiterm termbases quite a lot recently, but find it a nuisance that terms are only selectively recognised by Translator's Workbench. Why not all terms?

To begin with, abbreviations of less than three letters are not recognised, and that is a nuisance because I cannot always remember all the equivalents of various two-letter abbreviations. In addition there are certain cases where a two-letter abbreviation should be substituted in the target language by som
... See more
I have been adding to my Multiterm termbases quite a lot recently, but find it a nuisance that terms are only selectively recognised by Translator's Workbench. Why not all terms?

To begin with, abbreviations of less than three letters are not recognised, and that is a nuisance because I cannot always remember all the equivalents of various two-letter abbreviations. In addition there are certain cases where a two-letter abbreviation should be substituted in the target language by something a bit longer, and I would like the facility to be able to do that, without having to type it out each time.

The other problem is that terms which are in my termbases and are recognised in most of the TUs in the translation that I am working on are suddenly not recognised as soon as the TU goes over a certain length. That is a nuisance, because it is especially with great long TUs (anything from 100 words to half a page) that I would very much like to click through and substitute all the words in the termbases for the target language equivalents before working out how to untangle the sentence.

Is there any way round either of these cases?

Astrid
Collapse

Pavel Blann
Pavel Blann  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
try this Aug 2, 2007

1. go to www.sdl.com/trados-support.htm
2. enter part of your question into the "I’m looking for the keywords:" field (e.g. "not all terms recognised")
3. click on the relevant article's link(s)
4. repeat 2.-3. for another question

good luck,
pavel

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There are hardly any articles in that database Aug 2, 2007

Thanks, Pavel. However, that is the last place to look. There is hardly anything in that database. Your suggested search, for example, throws up the following:

"Unfortunately No Article Found"

Most other enquiries and keywords do, too.

In addition, you are supposed to enter the answers in the form to the following questions:

"I'm using TRADOS in connection with...", and the newest possible answer to choose is MS Word 2003. None of the answers a
... See more
Thanks, Pavel. However, that is the last place to look. There is hardly anything in that database. Your suggested search, for example, throws up the following:

"Unfortunately No Article Found"

Most other enquiries and keywords do, too.

In addition, you are supposed to enter the answers in the form to the following questions:

"I'm using TRADOS in connection with...", and the newest possible answer to choose is MS Word 2003. None of the answers apply, including that one, as I am using MS Word 2007.

The following question asks you to choose your operating system. The newest that they appear to have heard of is Windows XP. Pity! I am using Windows Vista!

In other words, no information is fed into the database, so there is no information to be found, and the web site provided is hopelessly out of date.

Astrid
Collapse

Pavel Blann
Pavel Blann  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
not all terms recognised Aug 2, 2007

www.sdl.com/trados-support-view.htm?cntID=997

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The page does not exist Aug 29, 2007

"Sorry we cannot find the page you requested" is all that this link produces.

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
The SDL site seems to have changed Aug 31, 2007

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

"Sorry we cannot find the page you requested" is all that this link produces.

Hi, Astrid,

The SDL site seems to have been updated:

Try searching from here:

http://www.sdl.com/en/services/support/search.asp

and you will get this:

http://www.sdl.com/en/services/support/view.asp?cntID=997

Daniel

[Edited at 2007-08-31 12:48]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why are not all terms in Multiterm termbases recognised by Translator's Workbench?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »