~250 pp becomes ~5000 after cleanup? *URGENT*
Thread poster: Stephanie Mitchel

Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:32
French to English
Aug 1, 2007

What the...
I've looked under 'repagination' topics in this forum but haven't found this problem yet. After cleaning up a Word 2003 file that was about 253 pp long in which I'd translated a section of about 70 pp with TRADOS 6.5.2.417, now, when I open the file it finally settles on.... 5203 pages. And I can't move around in the text. This is in normal view, with background repagination turned off.

What's a gal to do? Do I scrap it and re-translate from the source file with the memory? Deadline tomorrow -- is there a better/quicker solution?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:32
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Don't cleanup in Workbench Aug 1, 2007

As you already did, you TM contains the last stand of the translation.
Now open your bilingual file in Word again, save it under a new name (ie *-clean.doc).
Then press ALT+F8, put the letters "tw" in the macro name filed, select the "tw4winclean.main" and let it run.
Note, that in your Trados version this macro will NOT cleanup the headers and footers and all textboxes in the document. So you will need to place the cursor consequently in each header/footer and run the same macro. You will also need to go to each text box and run the macro there too.

What happened to you is caused by the conversion of doc to rtf during the cleanup process. As the Word macro does not convert the file, but works locally in Word, no damage will (should) occur then.

Regards
Jerzy

Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:32
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jerzy, Aug 2, 2007

And since I did not save a bilingual version, I guess I have to create another one before I can run the macro?

OK, I'm doing that now with the tw4winTranslatetoFuzzy.Main macro. More as the situation develops...

[Edited at 2007-08-02 01:21]

Beautiful, thanks so much Jerzy. The only tedious part was the retranslation.

[Edited at 2007-08-02 03:03]

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:32
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Not necessarily retranslate Aug 2, 2007

Sorry, I couldn't respond earlier, as I was out of the office.
When you cleanup the file with SDL Trados Workbench, a *.bak file is per default created, which is exactly your billingual translated file without any change. Unles you did not change this default setting, Workbench always saves a backup copy of the cleaned document with the "bak" extension in the same folder, where your translated and now cleaned file were.

Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

~250 pp becomes ~5000 after cleanup? *URGENT*

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs