SDLX Lite exports a document that looks empty...
Thread poster: Natalie
Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:58
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Aug 6, 2007

... though it isn't empty in fact as it has some 1.5 MB.

Hi everybody,

Any ideas of what is happening and how to solve this problem?

Many thanks in advance!
Natalia

Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
more information? Aug 6, 2007

Hi Natalie,

can you give us some more information?

what do you mean by "exports a document" and what steps exactly have you done after translating the file?

Best regards,
Katrin

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Ough... problem solved! Aug 6, 2007

Sorry for being unprecise, I was a bit panicking... I meant that I failed to produce translated document from SDLX. SDLX worked, saved an rtf file which I could not either open in Word at all or it could be opened but looked empty.

However, I have just found a solution: these rtf files seem to be incompatible with Word 2003 (though I must admit, it is rather strange!). I opened them in WordPad and re-saved.

It would be ok, but... all these developments have been happe
... See more
Sorry for being unprecise, I was a bit panicking... I meant that I failed to produce translated document from SDLX. SDLX worked, saved an rtf file which I could not either open in Word at all or it could be opened but looked empty.

However, I have just found a solution: these rtf files seem to be incompatible with Word 2003 (though I must admit, it is rather strange!). I opened them in WordPad and re-saved.

It would be ok, but... all these developments have been happening in the last 30 minutes before the deadline...

Natalia

[Edited at 2007-08-06 13:14]
Collapse

Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Hi Natalia Aug 6, 2007

good to hear that the problem is solved!

I was a bit confused, because I was told, when working with SDLX Lite, that I cannot create a translated document from the itd.file myself.

I used to send the itd file back, and the agency, who owns SDLX Elite (the version that is needed to create files which you can work on using SDLX Lite) converted it into the original file (Word, Excel, etc.)

But I found a way round that (at least for Word documents): I used the
... See more
good to hear that the problem is solved!

I was a bit confused, because I was told, when working with SDLX Lite, that I cannot create a translated document from the itd.file myself.

I used to send the itd file back, and the agency, who owns SDLX Elite (the version that is needed to create files which you can work on using SDLX Lite) converted it into the original file (Word, Excel, etc.)

But I found a way round that (at least for Word documents): I used the function "Preview translation" (it takes a minute or so, then the translation is shown how it would look like in the original format) and saved that.
Collapse

Natalie
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Hm, interesting! Aug 6, 2007

In my case SDLX Lite always created absolutely normal translated documents (.rtf) while clicking either 'preview translation' or 'create translation' buttons, and I never had such problems as with this document. I can explain this by the properties of the original file only.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX Lite exports a document that looks empty...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »